tarrant79

Easy to use 3rd party HMI to use with ControlLogix L82

4 posts in this topic

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has experience of using an HMI NOT being FTVIEW SE (Local/Station) that is easier to use and interface with a CONTROLOGIX PLC.

I have alot more PLC experience, but we just lost our Graphics programmer and I have to fill in for him(In addition, to my copius PLC work).  So I am trying to find something that will be much easier & faster to generate some Screens/Trending/Datalogging on a Local Desktop attached by ENET to a CLogix L82E PLC.

Pricing is not a huge concern, main issue is ease of use, efficiency, and compatibility with ControLogix.

Any advise would be super, were way behind schedule and I need to produce a HMI ASAP.
Thanks!

BTW: I think it shouldn't matter too much, but we have a number of vendor systems that are communicating on MODBUS/RTU in addition to all the ENET systems.
Report Post   Reply With Quote

I am very partial to the Inductive Automation Ignition platform.  Am using it with contrologix, plc5, slc etc right now.  I would suggest conerting your connection to your Modbus/rtu network to an Ethernet based interface.  Ignition is a server/client based system and ethernet is much easier to connect to.  Moxa sells some great little gateways to allow connections to legacy networks like that.  You mention desktop, but if you are interested in a local HMI then I would suggest RedLion.  Also connects well to the logix.

2 people like this

On 8/6/2020 at 8:35 PM, PLCMentor.com said:

I am very partial to the Inductive Automation Ignition platform.  Am using it with contrologix, plc5, slc etc right now.  I would suggest conerting your connection to your Modbus/rtu network to an Ethernet based interface.  Ignition is a server/client based system and ethernet is much easier to connect to.  Moxa sells some great little gateways to allow connections to legacy networks like that.  You mention desktop, but if you are interested in a local HMI then I would suggest RedLion.  Also connects well to the logix.

All of this....

For an HMI use Red lion. You can browse tags easily for controllogix processors. I think it even let's you upload a tag file if needed.

You can download and try the software before you buy the panel. It also has an emulator so you can make sure everything works before committing to the costs.

I'm with Criticore, The red lion DA-10 as well as many of the Red Lion Crimson devices will log your data very easily. It also has the Inductive Automation Spark already licensed, as well as a SQL interface for longer termed logging files.

Edited by a062549
fat fingers