Idothewires

Cannot open a FT View Archive File (.apa)

10 posts in this topic

I cannot open a FT View Archive File (.apa). I click on the file and FactoryTalk View Me application manager opens. I click next. I enter a name for the new application. I click finish and nothing happens.  Is there something I'm doing wrong? Any suggestions how to solve this issue?

Are you getting any messages or dialog boxes?

In the Application Manager, you should select Restore Archive.

If it's still not working, then it's an uninstall and reinstall and try again.

Then open FT view and the name you typed in should be there when you open existing project. 

1 person likes this

are you using the correct factorytalk software version? Higher apa versions dont let you restore and open when using an older ftview program, normally you are getting warnings about missing packages (factorytalk services), and when the incorrect version is used. 

If there are no warnings, go and open ftview and go to existing project --> you should see your project. (@dumdum being correct).

After restoring an apa file, the project will not show up until to restart your computer. There is no confirmation the project has been restored, but should get some sort of error if it does not.

14 hours ago, IO_Rack said:

After restoring an apa file, the project will not show up until to restart your computer. There is no confirmation the project has been restored, but should get some sort of error if it does not.

Since when? I have never had this issue before!

7 hours ago, Armadillo852 said:

Since when? I have never had this issue before!

My mistake. The solution I describe is for FactoryTalk View SE.

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/43343/loc/en_US#__highlight

Copy/Paste:

Summary

FactoryTalk View SE: Project does not show up in the list of projects in FactoryTalk View Studio or Client.
Problem

A FactoryTalk View Stand Alone project is not displayed in the list of existing projects in FactoryTalk View Studio or Client after restoring the project to the local computer.

Solution

After a restore, you may need to reboot the computer in order to see the project in the existing projects list for both FactoryTalk View Studio and Client Software.

Make sure you are looking in the correct FactoryTalk Directory. For example, a FactoryTalk View Network Station application will show up in the Network directory, while a FactoryTalk View Local Station project will appear in the Local directory.

Make sure user is added to the FactoryTalk users and runtime security.

21 hours ago, IO_Rack said:

Honestly, when I first saw this, I thought, "Huh, a new bug I haven't encountered yet." Based on my experience with View Studio, it didn't occur to me to question it. Sigh...

1 hour ago, Joe E. said:

Honestly, when I first saw this, I thought, "Huh, a new bug I haven't encountered yet." Based on my experience with View Studio, it didn't occur to me to question it. Sigh...

I only questioned it because I wanted to know how far to upgrade my software...

1 person likes this

I could be corrected here, when creating, copying, deleting any project with the Application Manager, it is using SQL Server.  SQL is creating a "directory" table and if SQL gets corrupted, you will fail to see the project.  Sometimes there is no other choice but to uninstall and re-install to get the functionality to work correctly again.