craigrichards

Allen Bradley 1747-UIC DH485 Issues

14 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I am having issues connecting my computer to our SLC 5/02. We have a genuine Allen Bradley 1747-UIC USB to DH485 adaptor, I have read into it a fair bit and have tried many different things. I have removed pin 3 configurations from the ethernet (DH485) as advised previously.. I have tried many drivers to get it to work to no prevail. I cant even change the CPU over to a 5/03 as I cant guarantee the program we have a copy of is the exact one in the CPU, therefore I cant just change to a different unit and establish comms that way.
Does anyone have a step by step guide to connecting the 1747-UIC to the PLC?

Many youtube clips dont seem to work for me like they do in the videos.

Thanks a lot in advance if you can help!

It sounds like you have a RSS file that you "think" is the correct program.  What does the channel configuration show, most notably the baud rate?

Also hitting the basics, do you have the select in the RS485 position?

And finally something to try on older SLCs.  Uncheck the Autobrowse in RsLinx and select the manual refresh.

Thanks for the reply so promptly.
The program hasn't had an edit since 2009, and once used an 'AB_PIC-1' driver, but I can change that in the 'controller properties' in rslogix500...
We have since updated computer and cable systems..
I found online that the 1747-UIC is auto configured to 19200 out of the box, and most likely needed to be 9600, which I have changed using link below.

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/493842/redirect

Yeah the selector switch is in the up position for DH485 :)
Auto-browse is deselected also. I do get the 'USB' led and the 'OK' led on the 1747-UIC adaptor indicating, however the DH485 led just pulses/ flashes quickly as if its trying to communicate but no prevail still...

Does the channel configuration in RsLogix 500 show 9600?

It is missing at least two. I haven't used the white UIC in many years but in if then prevents 24V from damaging the UIC. I will do some searching for that pinout.

He's pretty sharp so if he said only pin 3 is missing then he is probably right.

If you are sure the DF1 driver settings match what I showed in the lesson then I can only think of three things. The UIC is bad (not likely), the C13 pinout is incorrect ( ohm it out) or the SLC port is faulty.

I found another document about the cables required and it states it requires an external power source.. this is probably my problem. I have contacted a rep to find me the correct cable.
Thanks again.
If you do find any other information, can you please still send it through.

Cheers, Craig

On 7/28/2020 at 10:19 PM, craigrichards said:

That is the document for future reference :)

DH-485 Cables used with SLC-500 processors and the 1747AIC.pdf

That document is for the AIC module, which is (in my experience) mounted inside the control cabinet to connect multiple devices together. The UIC is a different animal. At a previous employer, we had issues with the white AB UIC adapter being a little unreliable but we were always able to get it to work as long as the cables are good. We ended up switching to the aftermarket model from Industrial Concepts with great results. I never had a problem getting it to connect.

Of course, the last time I connected to a 5/02 was a few employers ago and we used an old laptop with a PCMCIA card (PCMK, I think is what it was called in RSLinx...). At my last place we had some 5/03s and some fixed IO L40Bs that used DH485. I found a few in the plant I'm in now but haven't had a chance to hook up to them yet.