ABlearner

Powerflex 525 single phase

4 posts in this topic

Hi !

I have a powerflex 525 inverter. I have three phase motor. It is possible to make running the motor like this? If yes how ? Should I change some parameter in the inverter ? Thanks in advance. 

Some of the PF525's have single phase input and 3 phase output.

All PF525's have 3 phase outputs.

Which model of PF525 do you have?

Alan.

In the "Old Days (80's & 90's) it was not uncommon to feed Single Phase Power into a VFD on the A & C Phases and get out three phase.  You had to watch the unit rating carefully though.  A Three Phase Output of 7 amps per leg meant at least 21 amps of input current.  When supplied through three 10 AMP Input rectifiers from Three Phases the unit worked fine.  But try and pump 21 amps thru 2 ten amp Rectifiers as you do in single phase mode and you blow the inputs at full output current.  WE usually upsized.  Using a 5 HP Three phase drive to run a 3 hp three phase motor if the input was single phase.

Now in the modern era, people got fired of losing drives when a phase dropped, so manufacturers got smart and put in phase loss sensing.  It is my suspicion that you'll need a single phase in three phase out designed VFD these fays to accomplish what you're wanting to try..

2 people like this

Most drives will take single phase in, three phase out but you must de-rate the drive, typically to 1/3 it's nameplate rating. In fact, some drives even specify which line terminals you use for single phase input. 

I'm still not 100% certain the OP is asking about single phase input, three phase output. But if that's the case, on a PowerFlex 525:

R, S, & T are the line power inputs on the power terminal block. If you're wanting to run on single phase input, use R & T and de-rate the drive to 1/3 of its nameplate rating.

1 person likes this