tarrant79

Designer 5000 cannot Auto Module Discovery

5 posts in this topic

I am running Logix Designer 5000 v32 on a 1756-L82 processor.  Whenever I add new IO modules, I have never been able to do Auto Module Discovery, it just says "Error starting Module Discovery".  Rslinx classic is up and communicating to my backplane and PLC just fine.  And I can manual add IO just fine....Do I have some driver error preventing Discovery?

Thanks

The most common reason people have trouble discovering modules is they're not actually online with the controller. You probably already know that Module Discovery feature only works while online but since it's the most obvious thing, I had to ask. 

Can you add modules manually? Or does the Select Module Type dialog box fail to open at all?

I've run into the manual working but discovery failing a few times with L7 controllers using V28 & V31. The only solution I've found is to completely shut down ALL open studio projects on the laptop, completely shut down RSLinx, and then start over from "hello". In one extreme case a few months ago I had to refresh the FactoryTalk Application Manager and reboot the laptop. If there's a simple something that can be toggled in Studio or RSLinx, I'd love to know what it is, because this happens to me three or four times a year.

I haven't ever seen the Select Module Type dialog box completely fail to open and if that's the case, I'd close all the software you have open and reboot the laptop. I know that's a placebo but as often as not, it is effective. 

1 person likes this

@electronGuru - you are correct on this. @Tarrant79 - Auto-discovery should show all your io devices (make sure that the bus is connected, cards are snapped in place etc. , also rslinx is a good way for troubleshooting those devices) - however in studio5000, some devices are not capable of online addition (you cannot do add-on of cards while you are online and it requires a download to the plc in order to get the devices added). This non-online addition device will show grey in the auto discovery and not black. There are reported windows compability issues as well (are you running windows 10?) - this is what electronGuru talks about ... . Also, you need to make sure that you have all your add on profiles installed and you need to make sure that if you are doing the auto-discovery that you are discovering on the right bus, ethernet card etc... where you normally would put your io cards in the project.

also Rockwell has a technote listed for the L83E for error on auto-discovery. I worked with the L81 and L83's and for me the 7 series are more stable than the L8 series.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Izzybe

ElectronGuru, I hear you, its not worked when Im Online.  But I have Never seen the dialog on this system, it Always says Auto Discovery Unable to Proceed.  I've tried restarts, and everything...  I am using a L82E processor, also a L65 processor, both wouldn't execute the dialog.  However, I can manually enter all IO cards and devices, it just would be nice to have it auto so it would auto pick the correct Module revision, etc...

Thanks

In your original post you said you are using Studio 5000, V32. The L6 controller can not use V32, as it is hard-stopped at V20. It sounds like you're able to get the Select Module Type dialog box for adding modules to open and the Catalog tab is working, but the Module Discovery tab is not working. So let's back up a bit and start with the basics:

Are you building a new project, or adding to an existing project? If you are adding to an existing project, go online with the controller and open the Select Module Type dialog box and choose the Module discovery tab. If you are creating a new project, the easiest way I've found to add I/O cards is to create the project selecting only the controller, controller slot number, and firmware. Save and download to the controller, go online with controller, then use auto-discover. If you're using an L6 controller, you will have to use an RS232 cable to plug directly into the controller. On the L8 controller, you can use an EtherNet cable or USB cable, plugged directly into the front of the controller card.

A couple of important (if not silly) gotcha's:

• You must be online with the controller.
  • The I/O cards you're trying to discover must be properly seated in the cassis, with no fault lights on them.
  • Open RSLinx and make sure it can see the I/O cards you're trying to add.
  • If you're trying to discover remote I/O cards, a communication card must be added and configured in both the local and remote chassis beforehand.

If you are able to download and/or go online with the controllers and all the above conditions have been met, and you're still not able to use Module Discovery:

• Close all applications on the laptop.
  • Delete the RSLinx driver(s) you're using to communicate with the controller(s).
  • Close RSLinx by typing "RSLinx Classic Launch Control Panel" in your laptop's search box, open it, and press the stop button. If it warns you the application is still being used, close it anyway.
  • Completely power down and re-start the laptop.
  • For the L8 controller, (assuming a valid Ethernet/IP address has been assigned to the controller) configure a new RSLinx ethernet driver. (If RSLinx is open, an RSLinx USB driver will be auto-configured when a USB cable is plugged into the controller).
  • Go online with the controller and try to use Module Discovery.

Hope this helps.