soundman

Billy Basic Question - Push Button Control!

7 posts in this topic

Hi All 

Still very new to this - I'm a Theatre Technician by trade! 

I have an illuminated push button that I want to use to turn a relay on and off. The first push turns the relay on, the second push turns it off and then repeat indefinitely. I've done lots of research online, but I just can't get my ladder to work. I've been trying to get it to work using a CTU, but no joy. Could I have some help please with the simplest way of doing this? Ladder examples would be greatly appreciated, as I say, I'm very new and trying to learn this around my day job! 

I am using an Allen Bradley Micrologix 1200 1762-L40BWA, RS Non-latching relay and a N/C Push Button. All programmed in RS Logix 500. 

EDIT - 
Just for clarity - I want to have just 1 input - the Push Button and 1 output - the relay. 

Many thanks and best wishes, 

Will 

Edit - 
This is what I did with the CTU. I used a N/O Count Up contact to latch the relay on and a N/O Done contact to un-latch the relay with the timer set to a preset of 2. However I couldn't get the RES contact to work within the programme to restart the timer once the counter had completed!

Edited by soundman
To include further information.

Hi Tim 

Many thanks for this. It works for me. However, it doesn't always turn on and off, sometimes you have to press the push button more than once? Is there a way to make it turn on and off with a single push?

Sounds like you missed something with the one shot configuration. Maybe that bit is already being used. Check you program again. Did you watch the video? It even shows how if you don't have a configure correctly you'll get the result that you're seeing.

Thanks Tim. I had made a mistake. 

That's a great YouTube channel, too. Thanks again. 

10 hours ago, soundman said:

Thanks Tim. I had made a mistake. 

That's a great YouTube channel, too. Thanks again. 

You are welcome, glad you got if figured out.

1 person likes this