Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
wzrdstrm

BOOTP/DHCP

4 posts in this topic

The BOOTP/DHCP is unable to function because port 67 is being used by another process

Throwing this in here because I have a plethora of problems with BootP since Win10.

It is rare that I use Boot/P, we don't need to install a lot of new devices, as we are an OOM.

Had an old 5/05 that should of had an IP address but did not and was not immediately discoverable by other means. Could not read through the serial port because it was set up as half duplex and apparently RSlinx and/or my cable would not work on half duplex (auto find could not see any PLC's). We tested the serial port of an identical 5/05 and see the same issue, moving that to Full duplex would allow a connection. We looked at the last program back up we had and found that it was indeed set to half duplex. So, suspecting that PLC did not have an IP address, I received an error which is the first line above. It also said it was a service host with PID 10262 that was using it. I opened my services and looked for PID 10262, it was being used by a "Shared Services" function, which I stopped. Then BootP opened and worked fine.

Reality is, that if I reboot, this service will likely restart and cause the same issue and I don't think I can keep it off all the time.

If I can find a way to reassign this service, I'll post more here.

Good luck

I didn't save the bookmark, but I downloaded a similar tool from Phoenix Contact that seemed to work better and more reliably than AB's BOOT/P. I used on Windows 7, though, not Win10. It's not at all unusual to have issues with BOOT/P. I usually use it in a virtual machine with a USB network adapter connected directly to the VM and all of the VM's other network adapters disabled and disconnected. That sometimes works...

AnyBus has one, also used SMC's (valvebanks)

I had this issue with the newer AB equipment. I found some workarounds.

some newer AB equipment take the older version of bootp/dhcp. You can download it from AB techconnect website (all bootp/dhcp versions are listed and available for download).

Also, in order to disable bootp/dhcp properly, you have to use rslinx now and browse to the device and right click with your mouse and select module configuration. From there you can disable bootp/dhcp, and check if it took it at that point. 

VMs are always hit or miss with connection setups. With a VM, that is the first thing I check is if I can ping outside the VM.