gmorris59

TCP connection

8 posts in this topic

I need to connect a A/B 5370 or 1756 to a PC and communicate over TCP/IP and be able to read and write input/outputs. What features does A/B provide? I would prefer to write in C/C++ but can also consider Structured Text - if it supports the standard socket type functions.

1 person likes this

If all you want to do is display the current status of the I/O, I would seriously consider using AdvancedHMI. It's a plug-in into Visual Studio. It's written in Visual Basic, but the library may work with C/C++ too. The software to create a PC-based HMI is free. I tested it once with a CompactLogix and it worked well. I installed the free version of Visual Studio and imported the AdvancedHMI solution per the instructions. After that, it took me less than 5 minutes to have a tag displayed on the PC.

1 person likes this

Unfortunately I don't need to view the I/O - however I am interested to know what protocol they use from the AdvanceHMI to the A/B. Do you know?

I don't know the protocol, but I know you can read/write any tags in the PLC. Are you wanting a PC to be able to control physical I/O directly? If so, this is likely not the most cost-efficient way to get I/O onto a PC.

I am interested to hear what other solution(s) there are for exchanging tags (I/O) between a PC running service that I have written with A/B and also Siemens? I am aware of some standard protocols like OPC-UA, Modbus-TCP, Profinet, Ethernet-I/P but how can I write my own data exchange?

Thanks for your comments

If you're trying to roll your own from scratch without using their native protocols, you're way beyond anything I can suggest. I know the Ethernet/IP and CIP standards are handled by ODVA, but they're not free and they're going to be a big deal to implement properly. I *think* both AB and Siemens PLCs can be Modbus masters and the Modbus TCP standard is a lot more open (and less rigidly defined) than E/IP and Profinet. And that arrangement may not work for what you're doing (I've only been peripherally involved with a Modbus system and it didn't use Modbus to talk to the PLCs but to other auxiliary devices, so definitely don't take that to the bank).

I can confirm Advanced HMI is what you are looking for. I have created data exchange systems with it for AB and Siemens PLCs, using DF1, Ethernet/IP and Modbus TCP (this one for Siemens) and it works great. It's really easy to use, they have a forum with a great community and Archie (the creator) provides the best support directly in the forums, for real. And all for free.

Been using it since 2013 and helped me to develop my programming skills with VB.NET, it really helps that AHMI is event driven already, it takes out a lot effort of having to code events yourself compared with other paid drivers. To be honest, it is not just a driver, but the whole VB.NET or C# solution what you use to start from.

Try it, really.