mikeyhd

RSLinx Classic Lite 2.57 will not see new CPU

8 posts in this topic

We have 3 machines on a LAN. Each machine has 1 PC and 1 PLC for controls. When I plug into any hub I can "see" every device with RSLinx except for a SLC 05/05 that I am trying to install to replace one that went bad.

I don't get to work on this level of repair very often so I am very rusty, forgive me if I sound like a nub.

After setting up the driver in Linx, I click on "WHO" and see 5 of the devices, but not the new CPU. I am trying to download the file to the new CPU, so in my mind, it has no IP address. But in my driver I still have the address of the CPU I am replacing. In Who, it has a red "X" through the address...... naturally.

The CPU was not "new" but purchased from a repair depot.

I'm sure I am missing a step, but what else do I need to do to download the file to a "factory state" CPU? And what should a factory state CPU look like in Linx when I do a who command?

Thank you.

Download the program via DF1 and then change the IP of the SLC.  Then reattach via ethernet and it should show up.

2 people like this

Thanks for the reply. Is that the standard method? I have used that driver and protocol to download files before successfully on SLC 05/03.

Yes, of course.  The 5/03 had no ethernet.  In the case of your 5/05, it certainly has ethernet, but is unconfigured out of the box.

1 person likes this

Without knowing the IP address, it's going to be tricky. In this case, the serial port is probably going to be simplest method. If the 5/05 is at factory default settings (DHCP enabled), you can use Rockwell's BOOT/P utility, or one from another vendor (I like the one from Phoenix Contact better) to set an IP address. If it doesn't have DHCP enabled, you can try to use a program like Zenmap to run a ping scan but that gets really cumbersome if you don't know the subnet range it could be.

1 person likes this

I am 99.9% sure I got a dud from our parts guy...... where he got it from I don't know. Using the DF1 port, the "new" Plc can not be seen when performing a "Who" command. I have no problem seeing the other 2 PLCs, so I know it's not a driver or Linx issue.

The serial port may not be configured for DF1. Have you tried to clear the memory? 

Did you click on autoconfigure with RSLinx?

This will default the serial port to DF1 (see pdf's)

ClearMemorySLC.pdf

ClearMemSLC.pdf

Edited by Mickey
1 person likes this

Yes.... according to the instruction I found (the same as your first pdf file), I shorted the points labeled VBB and GND together.  However, I did not have the jumper set to "protected" as instructed on your second pdf file, I will try that today. Thank you!!!