Bob Love

Panel View Plus 600 Won't Retain Date and Time Settings

5 posts in this topic

I apologize if I'm duplicating a topic here. 

I have a panel view plus 600 that will not retain the date time settings.   I've tried multiple times logging in to the F4 terminal settings , scrolling to date , time and year and entering in the correct value and restarting the application only to find that the date and time aren't what I entered.  

What could I be missing?

What is the date/time set to in the application when you re-start it? It could be that it's reading that data from the controller's project, if the application was set to do that.

Are you cycling the power to reload the project? I believe the 6 has a battery that holds the value of the wall clock. If that battery is dead and you cycle the power, it'll go back to something like Jan 1, 1973.

To clarify:  the PV+ has a "Global Connections" feature that includes the ability to have the terminal read tags from the connected controller, then apply them as time/date settings to the Windows CE operating system on the terminal.    Check the "Global Connections" section in the FactoryTalk View ME project.

It's not impossible for the terminal's own RTC backup battery to be dead.   I don't recall how easy they are to get to on the PV+600 terminals.   I think the default time is the beginning of the Unix epoch (1 January 1972).

PanelView Plus has had more than its share of bugs with the system clock.   RA's reluctance to simply let the dang things update from an generic NTP server remains a mystery to me.

2 people like this

Ken Roach, as I recall, so long as there is not a communication module (ie DeviceNet, ControlNet, etc) attached to the back of the PanelView 6, there is a 1/4-turn cap that is easily removed to expose the battery. The PanelView 7s are a bit more cumbersome, as the entire back cover has to be removed to get access to the battery.

That said, I agree about the wall clock issues on these HMIs.  

I'm pretty sure the unit is not recalling time and date from the PLC..  I will check for the battery .    When I get to setting for the time and date I believe it has a year setting at 2060.  I'm not cycling power to the panel view.