Becky

multiple rs232 bar code readers on PLC

4 posts in this topic

Hello,

I need to connect multiple barcode readers (SICK CLP510) to a PLC (FX3GE-40M) for a university project. I need a minimum of 3 bar code readers, but only have one operational, connected via an additional modul for the use of rs-232. The only other port I can use is a miniDin 8, which is a build-in rs-422 port. Because this is a university project, it needs to be as cost efficient as posible. All the readers are CLP510 (pin-out attached bellow)

Thanks

Becky

Pin_out___wire_colour___signal_comparison_CLP100_CLP510_CLV60x.pdf

I am already using one fx3g-232-bd modul, and the PLC only has room for one more on the rs-422 port (picture below). That is 2 readers max. I need 3 for the project, so i guess i will need to change to rs485 or 422 to make that possible, but I could not yet find a solution that would work

Zajeta slika.JPG

if you must use RS232, get anther device that has bunch of RS232 ports:
one for each reader (to get the data) and one for PLC (to forward received data)
for example get Arduino Due or Mega or STM32 discovery board like
https://microcontrollerslab.com/stm32f4-discovery-board-pinout-features-examples/
note those UART ports will still need an interface (level shifter) to get RS232 levels but this is this is easy and cheap to do

if you want to use R422, add RS232/422 coverter to each reader. then you can connect all readers to a PLC on one bus.