Mikk

SINUMERIK 840D NCU BOX software?

10 posts in this topic

Hello

I would like to make a backup from the parameters/program of SINUMERIK 840D NCU BOX, but I have never done it before.

Can someone tell me which software to use for it? Since there have been already 2 cases in past year were the NCU memory has been wiped without a reason.

First, in order for anyone to help, we need the part number(s) of what you have, and if there is an NCU version printed on your NCU BOX, to either write it, or even better, take a picture of it.

Note: I am not a Sinumerik expert, I'm only trying to point you in the right direction.

I believe this might be what you want, especially chapter 12.4.2.  Unfortunately, I did this only once about 20 years ago, so I don't remember exactly the steps I did.

https://support.industry.siemens.com/cs/document/28518260/nck-plc-drive?dti=0&lc=en-WW

Don't you have a computer attached to the system?  What software is running on it?

Upon further reading....

NCU box

The NCU box is the module rack of the NCU module and consists of: NC rack assembly with cable distributor Battery/fan slide-in module Sheet metal housing with integrated guide bars for accommodating the NCU and the fan/battery slide-in modules and power supply unit Order number: 6FC5247-0AA00-0AA3

The NCU itself sits inside the box. So we still don't know which NCU you have.

Edited by sigmadelta

This might get you pointed in the right direction... now I remember I restored from an archive that was stored on the HMI (or PCU?) that was connected to the NCU... but this was a different 840D, and I'm not sure which NCU/PCU you have in your system.

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=59436

The NCU runtime on the SD Card uses the Linux ext3 filesystem.

What you want to do is take a full archive backup as you write and test NC Code.

On your main console PCU (Windows-based) or TCU (Linux-based or HT8 pendant) you can create a backup/restore archive & save it to USB. Goto "SETUP>Setup Archive,", click "Create Setup Archive", and select all  (DP, NC, NC Compensation Data, PLC), if you are using the non-Windows TCU main panel or HT8 you can archive HMI if you want but I usually don't because it takes forever to archive & is a huge file. With your USB drive connected, give your archive a name (I just name it the date I made the archive) & let it run.

For the windows-based PCU main console, your HMI is basically an SBC (single-board computer) and you will have to archive it like a windows system, using a disk-imaging app like Symantec Ghost to create a mirror image of the hard-drive. 

For taking an archive off a laptop, there is an app "HMI Advanced" which runs as a virtual HMI on your laptop and will connect both the old Powerline & Solutionline series NCU, be forewarned it's Win2K originally so its clunkly and takes control of your computer screen and function keys, so while its running you can't do much else conveniently with your laptop.

"HMI Commissioning" is a newer virtual HMI app, I'm just more used to HMI Advanced.

Creating & Restoring Archives off the PCU/TCU operator console is pretty simple and for me has been the most reliable way to restore from ... "creative" operators or production "supervisors" who need to learn to ask before touching.

If you want to back up more than that, like the entire filesystem off the SD Card, you will need a ter.minal service emulator, I like to use WinSCP and connect through the X120 port with the default IP 168.192.214.1 and you can open, modify, and save pretty much every file (modify at your own risk).