Wulfgar

Studio 1.40 in VM crashes if Acc 3D graphics enabled

12 posts in this topic

As the title says, Studio 1.40 crashes if I try to run it in VMWare Workstation (version 14.1.8). I had to disable the "Accelerate 3D graphics" option in VMWare in order to install this upgrade, this has never been an issue before on earlier versions of Studio. I thought I could then re-enable it but this causes Studio to crash as soon as you start it up. I've not spent any time running it with 3D graphics disabled to know if it can run stable. Or if having it disabled causes problems with Studio or other software on my Omron VM.

Has anyone else experienced this issue or have any insight?

Haven't had any issues with 1.40 yet.  Are you running the 32-bit or 64-bit version?

Yes, I lost everything yesterday, The crash was so bad the client OS became corrupt and could not be recovered. 

I am using VMware fusion pro 11.5.3, Client OS Win10 Pro, Sysmac studio 32 Bit and CX-One were the only software installed on the client. All Omron updates were up to date.

Have just finished Reinstalling now, and everything is up to date. Now is the time to start using snapshots.

On a side note, This is the error i'm getting when trying to copy my "Solution" folder across 

Error.png.5dc91b62b5412d46dc3c7797fdbd4c

Hello Crossbow.

I'm using the 64bit version. I'm hoping this is just a bug and they release a hotfix soon.

That sucks Chelton, I agree it's always a good idea to make a snapshot before doing any software updates. I don't always remember to make a snapshot but I do make a zip archive of a cleaned VM every so often for myself and co-workers to start from for both Omron & Rockwell separately as well as a base Windows 10 VM.

I keep my VMs in a directory right off the root of my HD, and I copy them once in a while to an external SSD for backup.

I haven't tried to run 1.40 in a VM yet, it's installed in my native OS.

I am also using VirtualBox, not VMware.

@chelton I found out that Sysmac Studio uses DirectX11 and VMWare does not yet support DirectX11.  

1 person likes this

Thanks for the info regarding DX11

I have always used SS on Vmware, and haven't had any issues until last week when it crashed. I have only recently changed over to win10 from win7, and winXP.

I am noticing the disk size seems to be getting quite big. The VM's are just a base install of windows and I have CX-One and SS installed, no other software.

The Win10 VM is now at 70GB

The WinXP is  12GB

Edited by chelton

I have not ventured into SS yet but I find CX-One is absolutely no issue in straight Windows 10 x 64 bit at all. It has always worked well.

Crossbow, I have not tried VirtualBox, we have used VM for many years.

Thanks Michael, all previous versions of Studio have worked fine so I assume Omron must have switched to DirectX 11 with the Studio 1.40 release.

Chelton, have you ran Disk Cleanup on the VM? I've noticed the VMs tend to grow over time. You can also set it to automatically run disk cleanup on shutdown but that can take a while and it is not give a clear indication that is what it is doing.

Wulfgar, I believe my crash was due to the VM's drive completely filling up. This was my first install of win 10 and I just left the default disk size of 60Gb. It had been running for about 2 weeks without any issues and no warnings of low disk space on either the host or the guest. BTW I do have accelerate 3d graphics enabled and haven't had a crash again. This install i increased the disk size to 85Gb.  

I made a blank VM with nothing more than Windows 10 Pro and the image file is 36gb.

Windows 7 was 16gb.

Windows 2000 was 4gb.

Microsoft bloatware...

Yes Windows 10 does take more space but not nearly as bad as Rockwell. We had ran out of space on our Rockwell Win 10 VM when it was allocated for 100 GB. I did not have any luck expanding the VM drive so I created a new Win 10 VM allocated for up to 150 GB. The base Win 10 VM takes 10 GB of space but that is after running disk cleanup with system updates save points removed and running VM disk cleanup.

Current sizes:

Omron VM 36 GB

Rockwell VM 50 GB