TooTall

Add-on Profile install help

12 posts in this topic

First, I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to downloading and installing new Rockwell software.  I'm comfortable using the software once installed.

We got a new panel built by an outside company.  It has 5069-306ER processor with ver 31 installed.  I'm good so far, I've got my upload and am online.

In the project tree is an "<Unknown>  device named RemoteIO with an IP address.  Open up RSLinx, it shows up as 1734-AENT/C.  That make sense, a remote I/O device.  So, Linx knows what it is.  I download the AOP for the device, extract files, go through the setup and install procedure and reboot; but it doesn't seem to be working.  I still see <Unknown>.  This is where i need help.  Am i missing a step installing the AOP?

Thanks

Justin

Edited by TooTall

What is an AOP?

Add-on Profile

From what I understand, the EDS is used by Linx.  Linx is happy, it knows what the device is.

Logix doesn't know what it is.  Logix wants the Add-on Profile installed.

Here's a test.  Make a copy of the program, don't mess with the original.  In the offline copy, delete that 1734-AENT and rack and then add it back with all the correct naming.  Maybe then the IO Tree might lose the "unknown".  By the same token, when you go to add the 1734-AENT, it would have to appear as a module type.  Another quick test might be to fully export the project and import it to a new file, maybe that clears it up.  If neither cleans it up, then it's seems like the AOP didn't install properly.

ElectronGuru was also suggesting yesterday trying the "Discover" capabilities of Studio5000. 

This: EDS allows RSlinks to ID the device (which is why you install them from RSLinx I guess) while AOP tells the logix how to handle the device" seems to agree with you.

This is a post by Ken Roach (also a valued member here) from another forum:

Never touch the /RSCOMMON folder.

It's easy to get confused about the difference between Electronic Data Sheet (EDS) files and Add-On Profiles (AOPs), especially now that RA does support an "EDS-based AOP" for certain third-party modules, which blurs the line between these separate technologies and leads to the mention of the EDS file in that error message.

The EDS file affects how RSLinx Classic views and identifies a device, and it is used also by RSNetworx to identify a device and its various properties and parameters.

EDS files are not used by RSLinx Enterprise, or by FactoryTalk View, and are only used by RSLogix 5000 for third-party EDS-based Add-On Profiles.

RSLogix 5000 always uses classic, full-fat, non-GMO, gluten-rich, peanut-filled, organically raised Add On Profiles for Allen-Bradley devices.

In this case, the problem is definitely the absence of the Add-On Profile for the 1734-AENT. I've been through it myself.

Installing the Add-On Profile for the 1734-AENT Series B will make the module available in RSLogix 5000.

which leads me to - does the AOP you installed match the module series?

16 minutes ago, pcmccartney1 said:

Here's a test.  Make a copy of the program, don't mess with the original.  In the offline copy, delete that 1734-AENT and rack and then add it back with all the correct naming.  Maybe then the IO Tree might lose the "unknown".  By the same token, when you go to add the 1734-AENT, it would have to appear as a module type.  Another quick test might be to fully export the project and import it to a new file, maybe that clears it up.  If neither cleans it up, then it's seems like the AOP didn't install properly.

ElectronGuru was also suggesting yesterday trying the "Discover" capabilities of Studio5000. 

I tried this.  The only versions of the module i can add are Series A & B.  The one installed is a Series C.  But I just downloaded the latest and greatest from the Rockwell site?!?!  F'n Rockwell.

Is it compatible with v31?  I ran into this with some of the safety modules after the AENT just a few weeks ago.

34 minutes ago, pcmccartney1 said:

Is it compatible with v31?  I ran into this with some of the safety modules after the AENT just a few weeks ago.

The panel and program came from an outside vendor.  The program is working and the system is running.  When I open controller tags and expand it's tag, I can see the I/O working.  So I'm assuming its the software on my computer.

So in your Tag Monitor, you can see tags named "RemoteIO - ***" ? And when you cross-reference those tags, they are being used in this project's code? If so...

PCDC says that controller and module are compatible, regardless of firmware. There are only two firmware available for the /C module, and the L306ER is only compatible with V29 through 32. So I think we can safely disregard firmware as the issue.

If you successfully uploaded the project from the controller to your laptop, I have to imagine the 1734's AOP would've come with it. But if the 1734 is physically present on the machine and being successfully used in the controller's project, it sure does sound like the problem is in your laptop.

You said you couldn't find the /C AOP. Follow this link: https://compatibility.rockwellautomation.com/Pages/MultiProductSelector.aspx?crumb=111

Under Selections, type "1734-AENT" in the search box. The first (of two) modules is the one you're looking for. Left click on it and select option C, and that module will appear in the right column of the page. Do not click the big red "Downloads" button. Click the little download icon, located on the far right of the column. In the pop-up dialog box, click the radio button that says AOP, then click the big "Downloads" button in the upper right. Yet another dialog box pops up; click the "Download Now" button in the lower right. 

It's always there with Rockwell / Allen Bradley. You just gotta dig for it, sometimes.

14 hours ago, ElectronGuru said:

Under Selections, type "1734-AENT" in the search box. The first (of two) modules is the one you're looking for. Left click on it and select option C, and that module will appear in the right column of the page. Do not click the big red "Downloads" button. Click the little download icon, located on the far right of the column. In the pop-up dialog box, click the radio button that says AOP, then click the big "Downloads" button in the upper right. Yet another dialog box pops up; click the "Download Now" button in the lower right. 

That got it.  I was going about it differently.  Now it works, thank you.

1 person likes this