Andy007

powerflex 525

10 posts in this topic

I am trying to add a powerflex 525 to a machine. Has a 5000 processor and I am using studio 5000. I am setting this up for IP control. I have it installed and it is connected. I see all of the tags and I have matched the drive. Problem is the left ethernet light is flashing. I read that this means the drive is connected but it is not being controlled by ethernet. internal state = unconnected and Owned = no. What am i missing

Thanks

One more note. There is a yellow triangle on the drive in the tree

Just because the drive was added to the IO Tree, doesn't mean you have control.  You'll need to parameterize the drive to allow for control via ethernet.  Better said, the drive, out of the box, is expecting to be controlled by hardwired IO.  GTS (Google That Stuff) to find and download the manual and determine the parameters to change.

The yellow triangle, generally indicates a lack of communications to the drive or a fault.  Click on the drive in the IO Tree, at the bottom of the left hand pane, you should see the fault or error called out with a code or description.  If you don't see it, there is a bar you can click on and drag up a couple of inches to see this info.  Alternately, if the comms to the drive are good, you can double of the drive in the IO Tree to open the configuration and view the tab with the faults.

Edited by pcmccartney1

The only code I have found is 16#0110, I have set the start stop and speed ref to ip control. I downloaded to the drive while offline. When I double click the drive and go to the drive tab it says faulted at the bottom but when I go to the faults button it does not show any faults, I di a compare to one of the other drives on the machine and I do not see any difference that would cause a problem

Generally, a 16#0110 is indicating a mismatch between the module configuration and the drive's configuration.  See KB ID: QA20528.

What pcmccartney1 said. I've found that the best way to avoid this error is to "discover" the drive while online with the controller. There are SO many variations on drives (and other IO) even within a particular model, that it's easy to make a small mistake when manually adding it to the IO configuration of a controller. Quite often it's a firmware or keying mismatch, but could just as easily be the wrong nameplate voltage setting. And then that darn yellow triangle of death hangs around forever. 

Right click on the drive and delete it from the IO configuration. While online with the controller and with the drive power on, right click on the Ethernet network icon and click "Discover Modules". If your drive is set up with a compatible IP subnet address, the controller will see it and you can add it to the IO config with no errors, because it will have uploaded THAT specific drive.

From there, you have to go into the drive's parameters and set up the drive for controller operation. To do this, double click on the newly created drive in the IO tree to open the drive's Module Properties dialog box. Go to the Drive tab and click on the magic wand in the tool bar to open the startup wizard. This walks you, step by step, through setting up the new drive.

You then, of course, have to write PLC code to actually get the controller to tell the drive to do anything.

Hope this helps.

1 person likes this

Electron makes a very good point.  I'm just old school and figure it out and have never tried the "Discover" capabilities.  Instead I usually have to go offline, delete the vfd and add and parameterize it until I get the correct configuration.

Edited by pcmccartney1
1 person likes this

pcmccartney1, the only drawbacks to Studio's discover feature is that you must be online with the controller, and you can only add one new module at a time.

I miss the RS500 days when as long a RSLinx had a connection to the controller, it could auto-fill an entire chassis with one click.

I miss the days when discovery actually worked! Been pretty hit or miss lately!

I've never tried the discovery feature that way, because of network/group policy setting issues that mean the Ethernet/IP driver never finds anything. Instead, I right-click on the network in the I/O tree and add the device. In the device properties dialog box that opens up, there's a "Match Drive" button that opens an RSWho window that you use to select the drive. It then builds the drive database inside Studio 5000 by uploading directly from the drive.

(I don't have a PLC/drive in front of me, so I wrote that from memory)

1 person likes this