jdarst54

NA Use USB to update tag

11 posts in this topic

Hi

I am using a USB badge reader to login into the NA HMI.  I can get the data to update a tag if I have a DataEdit field on the screen and open a Keypad to insert the badge data.  Was wondering if there was anyway to modify the AT of the tag or write a script on the page to update the tag without using the popup keypad.

Thanks

Are you reading in a String from the badge reader?

If so, is this String the User Name that matches one in the User Accounts?

If so, then have a look at the Login Function.

I am reading a string from the badger reader.  However I have to take this string and find it in a database and return the access level.  I am trying to avoid having to press a button to pop up a keypad in order to input the string into a variable.  This way I can login in using a global subroutine based on the returned level access.  This could be don from any screen and I would auto login in with out have the popups.

I guess I don't understand your reader. Doesn't it already read into a variable?

If your badge reader is similar to the bar code reader in this video then the last few seconds of this video would indicate that you cannot do what you want.

He doesn't want to have to press on a text entry.  The method in the video above works for him as he stated.  However, he wants the operator to just walk up to the machine and read his badge without even touching the screen (independent upon which page is showing on the screen).

Correct. At 2:00 (near the end), he said he wanted to set up a serial reader that wouldn't require the keypad. That told me that, what he demonstrated would not do that.

Does Omron make or recommend one that will connect directly to the NA5 and save the input value upon scan?

Oh, sorry, I misread your post..... I don't think there is a way to do what he wants (but am not entirely sure).

The only option would be to get a serial reader and take it into the controller.

My experience across many platforms, says no....Rather add an ASCII module to the PLC and use those functions to accomplish the task.

SetInputFocus , open directly the keypad . 

if that's you want .

Capture.JPG

Thanks for the info.  I think that the best solution is to continue to have a login button.