FightingMongoose

RsLogix 5000 Comment Editing While Online

13 posts in this topic

Hey guys, hoping someone has a solution to this. I've got a live PLC that can't be taken offline for a download.

I have a bunch of new SCADA points in the format of PLC_SCADA[0].0 - [999].15, and I need to add comments to them.

I created the new logic in an offline copy, but when I paste the rungs over the comments don't follow. 

I've tried using the import .csv in the Tools dropdown, but it can't be done while online with the controller. If I try in an offline copy, it requires a download.

I've tried exporting/import rungs as .L5K/L5X, but because the tags are Produced/Consumed, the comments don't update.

For smaller projects I've gotten away with copy pasting, but when the larger ones come around that have 300+ new scada points, it becomes very time consuming.

Any ideas of things to try? I've tried searching to see if I can use a structured text routine to populate the comments for me but I can't find any documentation showing how to write comments to tags. 

I was going to try DDE with Excel but it appears that is only useful to write/read tag data?

It's been a while since I've done something like this so I wouldn't try it with every tag. Select the first couple of tags and put an x or whatever into the Description. Save. Now try an offline import, then go online. It should have the updated tags even though you upload (NOT DOWNLOAD, unless the equipment needs a rest :o) ). If that doesn't work I'll dig around a bit. I know I've done it before but it's been awhile.

If a tag doesn't have something in the Description it will not show up in an export.

Edited by Michael Lloyd

Starting in V21 (I think) the tag descriptions and rung comments could be downloaded with a project. If remembering correctly, you were prompted at each download to bring the descriptions along. Starting in V24 (again, I hope I'm remembering this correctly) the tag descriptions and rung comments were downloaded automatically by default, but this was an option that could be turned off.

In the controller's properties dialog box, go to the Project tab and ensure that the "Download Project Documentation and Extended Properties" and "Download Custom Properties" boxes are checked. Check this in both the online and offline project files. If those boxes are cleared, enable them and try again. 

Otherwise, you may have to enter the documentation manually.

asdf.pdf

I always forget to think about the various versions. I think I started at 17 and did the bulk of my work on 19. We have everything from 16 to 28 where I'm working now. 

That said, I missed this part of the post 

but because the tags are Produced/Consumed

I don't use Produced / Consumed tags, neither do my two friends that work a lot with the CLX. Ie I'm no help. A friend of mine checked with his test PLC and confirmed "You can import offline docs only and it won't make you download when you reconnect", which has been my experience. But that's not Produced / Consumed tags.

The "Download Project Documentation and Extended Properties" and "Download Custom Properties" boxes are already checked. 

Seeming more and more likely I'm going to have to make a macro to "manually" enter the descriptions...

That is unfortunate. I'd like to mess with this on one of my demos. What is the controller you're using, and what version of Studio?

Meanwhile, here's a couple of work-arounds:

Print hard copies of the tags and put them anywhere a tech or programmer might need to view them. In the panel door pocket with the schematics, at a console desk, etc.  

Manually enter them as needed from the printed hard copy. Time consuming and tedious, but better than nothing.

Sooner or later there will be a scheduled or forced outage; do a download then.

I know this isn't terribly helpful, but it's all I can offer until I can attempt to re-create what you're doing.

Manually enter them as needed from the printed hard copy. Time consuming and tedious, but better than nothing.

It might not sound like it would be faster but I've had pretty good luck with putting the Description in Excel, have the Tags open on one screen and the Excel sheet open on the other, and copy / paste from Excel to the tag description. Once you get a rhythm going it goes pretty quickly. You can construct tags in Excel by putting word or word groups in several columns (make sure to put spaces where you need them) and using a formula to create the tag. Something like A1&B1&C1

1 person likes this

21 hours ago, Michael Lloyd said:

It might not sound like it would be faster but I've had pretty good luck with putting the Description in Excel, have the Tags open on one screen and the Excel sheet open on the other, and copy / paste from Excel to the tag description. Once you get a rhythm going it goes pretty quickly. You can construct tags in Excel by putting word or word groups in several columns (make sure to put spaces where you need them) and using a formula to create the tag. Something like A1&B1&C1

This is my usual go to, but after having done it 3+ hours on the last project I've had enough! :P

21 hours ago, ElectronGuru said:

That is unfortunate. I'd like to mess with this on one of my demos. What is the controller you're using, and what version of Studio?

Meanwhile, here's a couple of work-arounds:

Print hard copies of the tags and put them anywhere a tech or programmer might need to view them. In the panel door pocket with the schematics, at a console desk, etc.  

Sooner or later there will be a scheduled or forced outage; do a download then.

I know this isn't terribly helpful, but it's all I can offer until I can attempt to re-create what you're doing.

Using a variety of controllers/revisions, typically L85E V30 - the test PLC I've been trying to get it to work on is an L75 v30 on studio 5000.

1 person likes this

This is my usual go to, but after having done it 3+ hours on the last project I've had enough! :P

I understand, I spent about 4 months, off and on, documenting a shade over 9,000 tags in a boiler program this year. It was not fun. I used up all of my cuss words and had to order more. The vendor supplied their best effort and it was almost empty. It was a SLC to CLX conversion using the AB tool. I've never been a fan of that tool but it has been elevated to spawn if satan status. 

I use mostly L73 but can scrounge up a 75 easily enough. It may be a bit before I can do anything (COVid19) has us "grounded" at the moment but as soon as I lay hands on a controller, I'll see if I can recreate and fix what you're up against. For the time being, Michael Lloyd's suggestion is the best.

I ended up making an excel macro to do it for me - worked on my test plc.

Sub testing()
Dim rng As Range
For Each rng In Selection
rng.Select
Selection.Copy
AppActivate "Logix Designer", True
SendKeys "{F2}", True
SendKeys "^V", True
SendKeys "{ENTER}", True
SendKeys "{ENTER}", True
SendKeys "{ENTER}", True
Application.Wait (Now + TimeValue("0:00:2"))
AppActivate Title:=ThisWorkbook.Application.Caption
Next
End Sub

Need to have your controller tags open with the description column selected at the tag you wish to start at, highlight the comments you wish to paste in, and enjoy your coffee!

Unfortunately I can't figure out how to get it to quit on a keypress (incase you start pasting where you don't want to!)

I believe you need a DoEvents() statement just before your next statement of your For-Next Loop.

DoEvents() is a call to the overhead and will process a <CTRL><C> if one has been made.