Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
geetee1969

contrologix PVRIO

5 posts in this topic

Hello, 

I am trying to migrate a PanelView plus program that uses RIO communications to run on PanelView plus 7 terminal. Using Factory Talk View Studio ME, I restored the runtime file and changed the terminal type and size as needed. My intentions are to make some sort of table to list all of the PVRIO tags, and find the corresponding tags in  the program running inside of a 1756-L71 V30. I would then use the find and replace Tool until I changed all of the tags in the PanelView program to point directly to the corresponding tags in the control logix program. My plan is then to delete the RIO communication shortcut in the PanelView, and get rid of the lines of logic that handled the block transfer reads and writes. My question is this, is this as easy as the plan that I laid out or am I missing something?  The Control logix program was converted from a PLC 5 program a few years ago, and I suddenly have time on my hands to try to get this obsolete terminal changed out. Any advice would be appreciated. I hope each one of you are well and stay that way, or have a speedy recovery if not. 
Thanks, 

geetee

Generally, yes.  Practically, no.

Did the HMI use a tag database?  If so, it could be as simple as changing the device shortcut to point at the PLCs ethernet port.

You'll also want to check the alarm configuration, macros, parameter, recipes, etc...

Thanks for the quick reply, the HMI  uses a tag database, but there are no corresponding tags in the Controller tags. Example, HMI tag [PVRIO]OCTIME is a signed integer addressed B17 0. Looking through the messages and Controller tags I found that N150[0] seems to be the tag that houses the data that is written to [PVRIO]OCTIME via a Block transfer message. Other than the data being correct, (a value for a timer preset) the other indication to me that I have the corresponding tag is that it’s described as OCTIME. It would seem that I only have to do this another 700 times or so and I will have it converted. I guess I didn’t want to do this another 699 times only to find I could have or should have used another method.  

Personally not aware of any other simpler method.

Maybe create a spreadsheet and carefully examine the Blocks vs the actual tag reference.  Hate to say it, it just takes time.

Someone here might have a better idea.

1 person likes this

Not sure it would be any easier, but you can export your ControlLogix/CompactLogix code to excel and make the changes enmass once you've deciphered what changes are needed.