PeteW1959

FX0N not communicating with GX Developer

3 posts in this topic

I have been working on a very old aerosol capping machine and have suddenly had a communication error whist editing the PLC programme.

All has been working perfectly for a few weeks; I am using a Beijer SC-09 cable with an ATEN USB to Serial converter with a Windows 10 laptop (but I get the same problem with a desktop, so it isn't the PC) and GX Developer-FX 8.91V.

On Saturday I was working on the machine. I connected the laptop and all was well. I changed the value of a timer and successfully saved it to the PLC. I went to change another timer and I could no longer communicate. I tried the communication test and got an error that the PLC sent the wrong data (or something like that). All I get now is that it can't communicate due to cable error, speed not supported etc.

Nothing changed, neither the laptop or PLC were re-booted, it just stopped working. The PLC still operates as expected.

I have since tried on my desktop PC via the USB adapter and the built-in serial port but no connection at all. I've tested the cable for continuity/shorts and all apperas OK. TBH the cable has only been used a dozen times since it was purchased new a year or so ago, so I doubt it is a cable problem. I don't have access to another FX0N to check.

Any idea what might be wrong?

The usb to serial adapters are notorious for failing.

First thing I'd check is to use another.

I also had lots of problems with SC-09. I can't explain why but the MAX232 IC usually comes to fail and must be replaced. Some customer of us even had a problem when using for the first time or, sometimes, few times.