Colin Carpenter

GX Works 2 and Clock Change

1 post in this topic

We've been working on a Q04 project in GX Works 2 for a while now and all has been been going well ..... though I'm still baffled about the loss of functionality when changing the name of a global variable and why it doesn't update automatically throughout the code ( as it does in IEC and GX Works 3)

However, last week, I started up the software (structured ladder as in IEC) on the programme that's been in development for a few months only to see a "nag" screen tellling me that the libraries have been updated and did I want to "re-build all" after updating the libraries, with the dire warning that the PLC code would probably not verify with the PLC due to the fact that the global variables would probably now have different addresses.

I was more than a bit puzzled by this and phoned tech support to see if libraries somehow updated "in the background" without my knowledge, but found out that the only time that libraries update is when you download an updated version of the software, so I was then very puzzled as this was happening on three PCs.

A bit later, in a flash of inspiration, I realised that the clocks had changed since I had last opened the software ( in my case going to British Summer Time) so I set the time clock on the PC back to a date before the clocks changed, and, sure enough, the old project opened without the nag screen, which then came back when I reverted to correct time on the PC.

Now I know that you can choose to ignore the nag screen, but, it's guaranteed that one day, you'll click on OK instead of Cancel , and then you'll be left with a project that  doesn't verify after a rebuild, meaning stopping the PLC and the running process and  downloading the software  ...... probably once a year, but maybe twice (though I don't recall an issue back in October when the clocks changed the other way)

Tech Support have emailed Mitsubishi to see if there's a workaround or a bug fix or somewhere where you can tick a box to tell it not to update libraries unless requested (as I believe there is GX Works 3), but in the meantime, I thought I'd ask on here and see if anyone else has come across this and found a cure for it.

Software version is V1.586L

Thanks