Docprocess

Upgade From V20 to V30

3 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. I'm new to the group and to AB plc's. i'm used to Keyence and Omron. Well here is my question. I needed to update a CPU from V20 to V30. however the current CPU will not take the firmware update. I had contacted AB and they suggest to change the CPU because the current one can not go any higher then V20. So i swapped the CPU with V30 on it but when i loaded the program i get the following error.

Changing controller type: CompactLogix5335E Controller -> CompactLogix5333ER Controller...

Deleting Serial Port Channel 0

Creating embedded Ethernet

Deleting Module: LocalENB

Error: 1769 Bus: Modules exist in invalid addresses for the chassis.  Move the modules to address 16 or less.

not sure what this means. I also added a screen shot. the left image is the new V30, and the right is V20. 

Thanks.

PLC V30.png

As I understand it, you are attempting to migrate the L35E to the L33ER.  The issue you are seeing is that the L33ER is limited to 16 modules on the CompactBus.  You'll need to try L36ERM.  Nevermind, I just tried to setup a project with the L36ERM and it is also limited to 16 modules.  I just realized I had selected an L33ER rather than the L36ERM.  The L36ERM can handle upto 30 modules.

You'll have to goto Rockwell's website to research other processors.

Why do you think you need to upgrade the firmware version to v30?

Edited by pcmccartney1
2 people like this

AHH. Makes sense. I will change the CPU to the recommended one and try to reload the program again. Thank you very much.