monkey

RSLogix 500 Firmware question

7 posts in this topic

Can I download an old program (written with RS Logix 500 version 5.2) into a newer SLC 5/04 Series C with a higher FRN than my copy of RS Logix supports?

I don't want to use any newer functionality. Just wanting to get a spare 5/04 and load the application software on so it is ready to swap out in the event of a failure. I see some 5/04's on eBay that are new in box but have a FRN of 11 which wasn't out at the time my version of RSLogix was created.

I've done it before. worked just fine. But if you're not using DH+ communications I'd get a 5/05 you just have to change the processor type in the project before you download it.
If you are using DH+ communications I'd suggest budgeting to change them all to 5/05 at once and reconfigure for ethernet, that way you have some path for new equipment or scada.

Thanks for the reply. There are 6 total 5/04s on the line and they are all networked via DH+. There is no PLC to PLC communication but there are a couple PanelViews using the DH+ network to communicate to the PLCs. There are incremental upgrades to CompactLogix controllers and Ethernet based PanelViews scheduled for later this year through early next year. This is just an interim step to provide a backup plan until the upgrades are completed. 

Ahh, the program migrator is junk, better off copy and pasting it.

Yeah. I was going to re-write from scratch and make some improvements along the way when I get to that.

I'll just throw this out their.  I believe you can get a 1747AENT and use your Control / Compact Logix Processor to Control the SLC I/O getting your logic correct and then as a second phase swap the I/O.  Gives you a full back during cut over also.

Thanks for the suggestion. Most of the I/O is on DeviceNet Flex I/O so I plan to be able to swap the DeviceNet cable from the original to the new for testing and having the option to revert to the original by moving the DeviceNet cable back.