Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
srsicard3

Export data to excel or pdf

7 posts in this topic

I have a machine with a compact logix l18 and panelview 5000. the machine weighs parts intermittently and I would like to be able to record the weights, and export that data to an excel file or pdf.

I know how to program it to record and save the data, how would I go about exporting that data to one of the mentioned file types?

There are a number of ways to achieve what you desire:

1) Utilize a SCADA Package {Ignition, IFIX, Wonderware, PI} and follow its instructions for exporting the data after recording from PLC.

2) Leverage RSLinx as an OPC Server and Excel marco's to pull the data from the PLC to Excel.

3) Using Studio 5000 do a data upload and export.

I've never used the PV5000, but the PV+ has an ActiveX control built in that can log data to a csv file. The file can be stored in its local memory, on a USB drive, or to an ftp location. I've tested the first 2 and had mixed results but never had the required network permissions to set up an ftp site to test that. I was able to set up the ftp server on the PV+ itself and remote in to get to the data.

The issue I had with using the local memory was that it filled up quickly. The problem with the USB flash drives is that they quickly became corrupted and unreadable. I was logging data very quickly (a sample every second), though, so those issues may not show up for you.

Joe - I was referring to methods for pulling the data straight from the Compact Logix to Excel.  I never even noticed the PV 5000 was there.  

Gentlemen,

So there is no way of doing what im looking for without a hardware change addition?

I dont have any experience with SCADA platforms, but I am not opposed to going that route.

the data I need to pull is a weight (real number) and date/time stamp. when running its about 1 every 5 minutes.

I am leaning towards the PV+ option because I am familiar with that platform. There is no module i could add to the system that has a USB port that the customer could plug a flash drive in and press a button to export the said data?

Could you possible elaborate on the SCADA option?

If its version is new enough (at least 4), the PV5000 can log to SD or USB (access level Everyone):

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/1070628/

I've never worked with these; I just found it by searching AB's Knowledgebase. You'll need a free login to get to "Everyone" articles.

Edited by Joe E.
I hate finding typos in my own posts...

Hi,

You can acces the recorded data on the USB or local memory with SMB network sharing: type \\PANELVIEW_NAME or \\PANELVIEW_IP  on a computer on the same subnet network.

Then use RSView Enterprise File Viewer (Utility to Read and Save Logs) to save the data as csv and you can import on excel. You can write some Visual basic code to import automatically with task scheduler on windows (or Libreoffice + cron on Linux'es).

Cheers

Edited by empanada