SillyBoy

Inter PLC Communication over FINS

26 posts in this topic

Hello there,

I am new to OMRON so need some help to communicate two PLC over FINS.

Here are the description of the system...

(IO Table image is attached)

PLC1- 

CJ2M-CPU33

IP- 10.113.218.34

SUBNET-255.254.0.0

UNIT NO - 00 (set the dial available on the CPU in HEX)

NODE - 22 (set the 2 dials available on the CPU in HEX)

PLC2- 

CJ2M-CPU33

IP- 10.113.218.35

SUBNET-255.254.0.0

UNIT NO - 01 (set the dial available on the CPU in HEX)

NODE - 23 (set the 2 dials available on the CPU in HEX)

Now, what i have to do is to transfer the D100 to D110 from PLC1 to PLC2's D200 to D210 and Transfer the D100 to D110 from PLC2 to PLC1's D200 to 210.

I have tried RECV and ECHRD blocks but didn't succeed yet.

Two CPU are connected over ethernet via a industrial switch.5e74727a1d55e_CONFIGofBOTHPLC.thumb.jpg.

Can you help me to achieve data transmission please...

Set up automatic transfer between the 2 PLCs with CX-Integrator - the easiest way. I have 16 PLCs connected this way on 1 job - automatic transfer. You can setup 2 areas - I use CIO and DM but generally setup the transfer for CIO at channel 4000 and DMs at channel 5000. Your choice. You can also setup how many channels are allocated to each PLC for each memory area.

I really don't know anything about cx-integrator,  can you please discribe how to do so ?

Read the manual - it is all there - that is where I learned how to do it. I also use Network Configurator regularly - the book is very good.

Do it over EIP - it will just work - that is what I meant. You do not need to use FINS - pointless when EIP is so easy. EIP ports in both PLCs so why complicate things.

1 hour ago, BobB said:

Do it over EIP - it will just work - that is what I meant. You do not need to use FINS - pointless when EIP is so easy. EIP ports in both PLCs so why complicate things.

Actually we have to give a demo to one of the our customer.

We have to establish communication between 2 Controllers of Schneider, Mitsubishi, Siemens, AB and Omron each.

Rest 4 are done, we are just stuck in OMRON only, as per the customers instructions we have to establish communication over FINS only not Ethernet/IP.

Look into the SEND and RECV instructions, it is pretty straightforward.  I can help a bit more later if needed. 

Don't know where to start...

i have tried RECV but didn't  succeed yet...

Ok, show us what you have done....

On 23/03/2020 at 6:44 PM, Michael Walsh said:

Ok, show us what you have done....

Hello Michael,

We have successfully establish FINS Communication between both PLCs using SEND and RECV Block with the following IP Addresses.

PLC-A

IP- 192.168.1.1

Subnet-255.255.255.0

PLC-B

IP- 192.168.1.2

Subnet-255.255.255.0

but we have to set the following IP addresses to both the PLCs.

PLC-A 

IP- 10.113.218.34

SUBNET-255.254.0.0

PLC-B

IP- 10.113.218.35

SUBNET-255.254.0.0

After setting above IP addresses we are unable to establish communication.

Backup of both the PLC are attached here.

Please Help us regarding this...

PLC BACKUPS.zip

15 hours ago, Michael Walsh said:

Read this thread:

https://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?/topic/25148-cj2m-ethernet-ip-error-f3/#comment-121115

It explains why you are having issues.  You will have to add every node that you wish to communicate to the IP Address table as FET_Destroyer mentions. 

Hello Michael,

We have successfully establish FINS Communication between both PLCs using SEND and RECV Block with the following IP Addresses.

PLC-A (Set Node Address 22 on PLC)

IP- 10.113.218.34

SUBNET-255.255.255.0

PLC-B (Set Node Address 23 on PLC)

IP- 10.113.218.35

SUBNET-255.255.255.0

but when i change subnet mask from 255.255.255.0 to 255.254.0.0, Communication was lost.

I have read thread mention by you many time, but i am still not getting that what will be my node number for above ip and subnet and how to setup IP address table and what will be my C+2 Parameter for RECV Block.

4 hours ago, SillyBoy said:

Hello Michael,

PLC-A (Set Node Address 22 on PLC)

IP- 10.113.218.34

SUBNET-255.255.255.0

PLC-B (Set Node Address 23 on PLC)

IP- 10.113.218.35

SUBNET-255.255.255.0

but when i change subnet mask from 255.255.255.0 to 255.254.0.0, Communication was lost.

I have read thread mention by you many time, but i am still not getting that what will be my node number for above ip and subnet and how to setup IP address table and what will be my C+2 Parameter for RECV Block.

We have successfully establish communication over FINS between two PLC for above mention IP addresses.

Now we are looking forward to communicate both PLC with a HMI.

We have NS5-TQ11-V2.

We have to set IP Address of HMI to 10.113.218.44 with Subnet of 255.254.0.0

Please help to set up Ethernet, Host and IP address table in HMI for communication over FINS.

Is anything need to do with PLC IP address table to establish communication ?

Hello SillyBoy,

I'm establishing FINS Communication between both PLCs using SEND and RECV. And I don't understand about the SEND and RECV instruction. Can you help me with this?

In PLC1 (node 1), I use the SEND(090) instruction sends one word to PLC2 (node 2). The PLC2 still receive that word although I don't use RECV instruction!!! So, when do we use RECV instruction?

Many thanks!

@Deng

You only need to use SEND or RECV to make data go from one PLC to another.  Think of SEND as if it were a "WRITE to other PLC" command and RECV as if it were "READ from other PLC command".

1 person likes this

@SillyBoy

You need to add every node on your network to the IP Address table of each PLC and of the touch screen (note that the Conversion method needs to be combined (or IP Address Table) to enable entry into the IP Address table):

PLC A (I am going to assume the 22 that you mention is the dials on the front of the unit.  That is a hex number.  Hex 22 = decimal 34, so I used 34 as the node number):

5eece0f8b5c67_PLCAIPaddress.jpg.657cd50d

PLC B (I am going to assume the 23 that you mention is the dials on the front of the unit.  That is a hex number.  Hex 23 = decimal 35, so I used 35 as the node number):

5eece0ff4bd1e_PLCBIPaddress.jpg.8d975c7d

NS5 (I am going to assume it is FINS node 44 to match the last octet, I would recommend that for the PLCs also, but did not change that above):

HMIIPAddress.jpg

11 hours ago, Michael Walsh said:

@Deng

You only need to use SEND or RECV to make data go from one PLC to another.  Think of SEND as if it were a "WRITE to other PLC" command and RECV as if it were "READ from other PLC command".

11 hours ago, Michael Walsh said:

Thanks you very much :clap:

@Michael Walsh Can we use Ethernet port of CPU unit directly to connect to the NS/NB HMI only by configuring IP address?

Secondly Is it possible if we have to connect more than 1 devise (1 HMI+1 PLC) to CPU unit, Can we able to connect the more devises to CPU through industrial switch/router OR we have to go for separate Ethernet module CJ1W-ETN21 to connect more devises?

Thanks

On 19/06/2020 at 9:34 PM, Michael Walsh said:

@Michael Walsh

I must say you have helped a lot, what a great explanation.

Everything sorted out....

Thank You Very Much... 

@SillyBoy

You need to add every node on your network to the IP Address table of each PLC and of the touch screen (note that the Conversion method needs to be combined (or IP Address Table) to enable entry into the IP Address table):

PLC A (I am going to assume the 22 that you mention is the dials on the front of the unit.  That is a hex number.  Hex 22 = decimal 34, so I used 34 as the node number):

PLC B (I am going to assume the 23 that you mention is the dials on the front of the unit.  That is a hex number.  Hex 23 = decimal 35, so I used 35 as the node number):

NS5 (I am going to assume it is FINS node 44 to match the last octet, I would recommend that for the PLCs also, but did not change that above):

HMIIPAddress.jpg

@SillyBoy

HMIIPAddress.jpg

@SillyBoy

HMIIPAddress.jpg

11 hours ago, Abdul Wajid said:

@Michael Walsh Can we use Ethernet port of CPU unit directly to connect to the NS/NB HMI only by configuring IP address?

Secondly Is it possible if we have to connect more than 1 devise (1 HMI+1 PLC) to CPU unit, Can we able to connect the more devises to CPU through industrial switch/router OR we have to go for separate Ethernet module CJ1W-ETN21 to connect more devises?

Thanks

@Abdul Wajid:

Yes, you can use the Ethernet port to connect directly to NS/NB HMI if you follow a few simple rules:

1)  If the IP Address of the PLC and HMI are on the same network and you have a Class C network (there are other potentials using other subnets, but to keep it simple, use Class C). So, if the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 on both the HMI and PLC and the first three octets of the PLC and HMI's IP Addresses are the same.  Example:  PLC IP Address 192.168.0.15 and HMI:  192.168.0.10.  Subnet mask on both is 255.255.255.0.

2)  If you set the node number (dials on front of Ethernet module on PLC) to the same value of the last octet of the PLC's IP Address.  For example, if your PLC IP address is 192.168.0.15 (like in #1), then the node number would need to be 0F on the front of the module.  The node number is in hexadecimal, so 0F = 15 decimal.

For your second question, yes, just add a network switch to your network and you can have multiple HMI's talking to the same CPU.  There are some control / notify (at least that is what it used to be called) areas that will need to be unique on each screen.

1 person likes this

Thanks Michael for good clarification....

For my second question, if we connect multiple devises through network switch, then IP address of the first three octet of all devises will be same but there will be only changes in the last octet. Is it right? If we connect any PLC into multiple devises, then IP of the last octet would be according to the node number set on front dials. Correct me if i am wrong.

Thanks

5 minutes ago, Abdul Wajid said:

Thanks Michael for good clarification....

For my second question, if we connect multiple devises through network switch, then IP address of the first three octet of all devises will be same but there will be only changes in the last octet. Is it right? If we connect any PLC into multiple devises, then IP of the last octet would be according to the node number set on front dials. Correct me if i am wrong.

Thanks

This is correct.  All 3 devices will have a different last octet.  Also, there are settings for node numbers on the HMIs in the software.  Make the node numbers for the HMIs match the last octet as well.  Software node settings for HMIs and rotary hex dial settings for PLC network card.

Thanks Michael.

One more thing, what is the actual method for selecting subnet mask. I observed sometimes it would be 255.255.254.0 OR 255.255.0.0. Is there any specific numbers to mention for subnet mask?

1 minute ago, Abdul Wajid said:

Thanks Michael.

One more thing, what is the actual method for selecting subnet mask. I observed sometimes it would be 255.255.254.0 OR 255.255.0.0. Is there any specific numbers to mention for subnet mask?

Read this:  https://forums.mrplc.com/index.php?/topic/25148-cj2m-ethernet-ip-error-f3/#comment-121115