DWIM

Petition to Mitsubishi : IO-Link FX3G Module

9 posts in this topic

Hello everybody

I would like to have a IO-Link Module on FX3 PLC's . CC-Link is dead here in my area. Every sensor sales man which approaches me yells "IO-LINK" .

Please Mitsubishi (If you are listening here) do not play yourself in a corner.

We are a small fish (200 PLC's/year). But despite the effort needed to switch to another PLC Manufacturer it seems the only solution for us.

Does anybody support my view?

Mitsubishi Supports I/O Link but only through their networks Like CC-link IE field.
https://orgnew-www.mitsubishielectric.com/fa/products/cnt/plcnet/pmerit/cclink_ie/lineup/io_link.html

But If you are used to cc-link why not use this from IO Link TO CC-Link unit from Balluff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dcHsO7l9ho

This way you can keep using the FX3. The current compact PLC is de FX5 so i would doubt anything will be made for the FX3 types

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

I see, I must change the platform as it seems. Nobody here in our area uses Mitsu (hard to find skilled people) and on top of that no connectivity...

If we change the product, we can also change the manufacturer.

I must say, we need IO-Link in 2m distance from the PLC, so CC-Link to Baluff is an expensive solution for 2 meters.

Well you can change the product but you'll have to program the whole system new. What would the costs of that be...

sensor sales man which approaches me yells "IO-LINK

Sensor sales wil always yell that it's their network to make there sensors more intelligent.
Otherwise there is no difference.

If it's only 2 meters why use an expensive IO link sensor instead of a regular one.
Do you actually use and functions of te smart sensor?

Besides the new industrial networks will all be based on IEEE .....-TSN so it will be much easier in future.

2 people like this

Let me ask the question a different way.  If the distance is only 2m, why do you need IO-Link at all?  What is the device that you are trying to get communicating?  Is hardwired IO possible?

Gambit beat me to the question!

Edited by pcmccartney1

Thanks for your input. Very valuable.

About the sensor, it is a level sensor which can handle foam. Not many can do this. This is the main IO-Link unit at the moment.

But the goal ist, to have only one input at the PLC and use more IO-LINK Sensors.

Szenario Now:  A lot of I/0 Pins for various sensors. Our machine is highly customize able. Means a lot of schema changes because of the many options. So there are a lot of wires to be done. We try to reduce cost by using a small PLC. So the wires are never at the same place. Means a lot erros (every one is too much). 

Szenario future: Have a single communication input at the plc and adress as much options via a bus system. IO-Link would match that need.

I also thought about MODBUS. But it sounds old say the marketing guys (their age > 60, oh the irony)

On 3/12/2020 at 6:52 AM, Gambit said:

Mitsubishi Supports I/O Link but only through their networks Like CC-link IE field.
https://orgnew-www.mitsubishielectric.com/fa/products/cnt/plcnet/pmerit/cclink_ie/lineup/io_link.html

But If you are used to cc-link why not use this from IO Link TO CC-Link unit from Balluff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dcHsO7l9ho

This way you can keep using the FX3. The current compact PLC is de FX5 so i would doubt anything will be made for the FX3 types

Have you used these Balluff modules before? 

I have one that I was testing on, but hit a road block when the CC-link card must be some version or newer in order to run data read/write commands. 

I don't think that is the case the read write commands are probably for a system Q module.
Just write the code for the FX comm.