Peter SD

CXSupervisor, CJ2M performance issues.

3 posts in this topic

Hello,

I do not do much Omron work but I do have one large project thats on it's 3rd rev.

I have approx 680 symbols/points that are passed between CX-Supervisor and a CJ2M-CPU15. I am using the USB cooms with the ormon usb driver.

My update rates are very bad. I'm looking at 4 to 8 seconds. 

I have not laid out my points as described in the manual of best pratices because i didn't know it was an issue. 

I have seached for information on this and i hope that i'm missing something.

I could change to a CJ2M- CPU35 and use the ethernet but i don't know how much better that would be. Even USB-2  has a 60Mbs rate but i would guess that the legacy driver would not be that efficient.

What are you people seeing in therms of performance, points and best practices for point alignment?

Thanks

Peter

Hi,

Best ignore the theoretical bandwidth of USB-2 (who said it was 2 anyway?). Certainly I remember many early Omron USB ports were just using USB to Serial chipset running at 114Kb. You still see this with the CP1W-CIF41 Ethernet plug-in - still connected to a serial port !

Next thing is that theoretical bandwidth assumes you can process and pump out the messages quickly. For ALL PLCs this is a secondary task so latency means you never get near that. 
Yes, with Ethernet you will easily achieve good performance. Appendix B shows you can expect over 1500 reads a second over Ethernet. 
I realise time and cost are your factors here so your choice, but I would just knuckle down and reorganise the program memory and then recreate the CXS points and will still achieve this. 
Like I said already once this week, FINS memory management is tedious to thanks for EIP tag addressing these days!

Rgds

BB