DarkEdge

What is your favorite and least favorite HMI software?

18 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,,

Either windows based or to program a specific panel, I'm looking for the pros and cons of both. I get to design the user interaction of a system from scratch and I'm looking for options and products to avoid. Thanks!  showbox.bio/ tutuapp.uno/ https://vidmate.vet/ 

Edited by DarkEdge

Depends on the size of the system.

How many stations, how many plc's?

I tend to prefer RedLion for most HMI applications.  That is using the classic definition of HMI that doesn't include data collection and manipulation.  Inexpensive hardware, free config software and generally can do what needs doing. 

11 hours ago, PLCMentor.com said:

I tend to prefer RedLion for most HMI applications.  That is using the classic definition of HMI that doesn't include data collection and manipulation.  Inexpensive hardware, free config software and generally can do what needs doing. 

Not to mention the free HMI firmware upgrades that keep their performance competitive.

1 person likes this

On 2020-04-23 at 2:25 AM, pop29684 said:

Not to mention the free HMI firmware upgrades that keep their performance competitive.

Is this common in the usa? I have never heard of it.

On 2020-03-05 at 9:00 AM, DarkEdge said:

Hello everyone,,

Either windows based or to program a specific panel, I'm looking for the pros and cons of both. I get to design the user interaction of a system from scratch and I'm looking for options and products to avoid. Thanks!  showbox.bio/ tutuapp.uno/ https://vidmate.vet/ 

Stay away from ifix is my advice. I liked cimplicity, also from ge, but never saw it on a panel. Beijer ix is also nice. There are server based solutions such as webport. If you go for beckhoff plc it has an integrated webserver and lots of possibilites. Haven't used it myself yet but it's a direction i want to go.

Where I work they use a lot of AutomationDirect's Cmore HMI panels. Recently for the EA9 series they made the software free to use. I found it easy to learn and they have a lot of video tutorials to view. I am using a C-More micro panel (least expensive option) for my model train project. It has less features, but for what I need for my train project, it works.

The project will also determine what HMI would suit best depending on the features needed for the project.

Mike

Mike you may be interested in Inductive Automation's Maker edition.  They have just offered a freebie edition of their SCADA that looks really cool for playing with at home. 

I am not fan of anything Siemens, specially WinCCFlex... that thing was bad to the bone.. in a bad way.hope it improved a lot, i don't miss it...

On 7/1/2020 at 9:48 AM, PLCMentor.com said:

Mike you may be interested in Inductive Automation's Maker edition.  They have just offered a freebie edition of their SCADA that looks really cool for playing with at home. 

Looks interesting, but for the model train project I want to stick with the HMI panel. My eventual plan is once I am "done" writing the programs for train operations I will transfer the PLC setup to my around the wall layout in my living room. I have a free standing pedestal which used to be a take out robot from an injection molding machine. The original HMI is an old Proface. It will be replaced with the C-More HMI I am currently using. The button box I am using for the project will simply be eliminated and wired to this stand. 

Most of the parts used for this project were scavenged from old CD/DVD replication lines that were being scrapped. I have on hand a lot of the Proface HMI's but the cost for the software was too much, so I decided to use a C-More. I probably should put those panels up for sale on Ebay or something, someone could probably use them.

Mike

0311171949 (Medium).jpg

On 6/30/2020 at 4:02 AM, Rolf_Inge said:

Just noticed this comment.  Yes RedLion products are in wide use here in the US.  They are my goto for HMI (and yes free software but not my major concern) and they also own Ntron switches which I have been using exclusively for years.

I gotta say, my work is all done in the industrial sector.  Paying for good software is not a big issue to me.  Paying $500 or $5000 for a piece of software that is going to be used on a $10 million dollar line doesn't seem a big issue to me as long as it is a good solution for the line.  There are too many people in the industrial world that treat things like this as if it was a personal expense.  If I can save an hour of downtime with quality software in an industrial environment, then I have generally paid for the software.  Just a thought.  Different mindset is necessary.

1 person likes this

On 6/30/2020 at 4:02 AM, Rolf_Inge said:

Are you asking about the firmware updates? No, this is not widespread in the USA.

Are you asking about the use of RedLiion? Yes, they are used frequently here in the USA. Especially when you need to move data between hardware platforms. I don't think there's any equal for this functionality. The translation is automatic. Connect any two hardware platforms and the Red Lion will happily move data bi-directionally all day long without any complaint. Most hardware drivers are included.

On 7/10/2020 at 5:32 PM, PLCMentor.com said:

Just noticed this comment.  Yes RedLion products are in wide use here in the US.  They are my goto for HMI (and yes free software but not my major concern) and they also own Ntron switches which I have been using exclusively for years.

I gotta say, my work is all done in the industrial sector.  Paying for good software is not a big issue to me.  Paying $500 or $5000 for a piece of software that is going to be used on a $10 million dollar line doesn't seem a big issue to me as long as it is a good solution for the line.  There are too many people in the industrial world that treat things like this as if it was a personal expense.  If I can save an hour of downtime with quality software in an industrial environment, then I have generally paid for the software.  Just a thought.  Different mindset is necessary.

Agree. What is a reasonable cost in the beginning, in comparison to a pain the neck later on?

On 8/2/2020 at 7:14 PM, pop29684 said:

Are you asking about the firmware updates? No, this is not widespread in the USA.

Are you asking about the use of RedLiion? Yes, they are used frequently here in the USA. Especially when you need to move data between hardware platforms. I don't think there's any equal for this functionality. The translation is automatic. Connect any two hardware platforms and the Red Lion will happily move data bi-directionally all day long without any complaint. Most hardware drivers are included.

Okay. Seems like decent equipment. I'm using Mitsubishi GT Designer right now and am not so excited. Will see how that develops...

23 hours ago, Rolf_Inge said:

Agree. What is a reasonable cost in the beginning, in comparison to a pain the neck later on?

Okay. Seems like decent equipment. I'm using Mitsubishi GT Designer right now and am not so excited. Will see how that develops...

I'm not sure if that was a rhetorical question or not.  Pain the the neck usually causes downtime. Pretty easy to figure the return on downtime cost vs equipment/development cost.  I'm not really a fan of anything Mitsu - PLC's, displays, cars, etc.  Me and Mitsu just dont seem to get along.  The AB software is really expensive; however, it works.  It has a lot of features and they keep improving it.  I'll pay for quality.  Also there is a time component.  I can program twice as fast - maybe even a greater multiplier - in the RSLogx5000 platform versus most others.  Partially due to my experience with that compared to others, but also due to the structure and ease of programming in that package.  The hardware is also pretty solid.  Install and forget.  Let the spares gather dust.  Finally there is a sanity factor. What's left of my sanity after years in this business is worth paying a little more to me.  Most of the Japanese processors seem to target eliminating my remaining grasp on reality. 

20 hours ago, PLCMentor.com said:

I'm not sure if that was a rhetorical question or not.  Pain the the neck usually causes downtime. Pretty easy to figure the return on downtime cost vs equipment/development cost.  I'm not really a fan of anything Mitsu - PLC's, displays, cars, etc.  Me and Mitsu just dont seem to get along.  The AB software is really expensive; however, it works.  It has a lot of features and they keep improving it.  I'll pay for quality.  Also there is a time component.  I can program twice as fast - maybe even a greater multiplier - in the RSLogx5000 platform versus most others.  Partially due to my experience with that compared to others, but also due to the structure and ease of programming in that package.  The hardware is also pretty solid.  Install and forget.  Let the spares gather dust.  Finally there is a sanity factor. What's left of my sanity after years in this business is worth paying a little more to me.  Most of the Japanese processors seem to target eliminating my remaining grasp on reality. 

It was rethorical.

I don't mind Mitsubishi so much. GXWorks2 and now 3 is quite nice to program in. The hardware setup part though. A million settings? Crazy. The other week I was amazed/shocked to know that using an IO-module that allowed hotswap required an individual project to be setup in GXW3, and some interface addresses that needed to match. *siiigh*

Siemens TIA portal 15 is better than it's reputation I must say. The HMI / SCADA part i cant comment on yet.

Is allen bradley using IEC 61131, the standard for logical controllers? AB is not big here in northern europe. I have only yet encountered National Instruments stuff as part of the american plc business.

Well I believe they think they are.  They even have a manual that covers part 3 of the standard.  Unfortunately my understanding is that the standard is so loosely defined that compliance doesn't actually mean much.  Not like you can take a siemens program and load it on an ab.

Hi everyone,

I got lot of information from this discussion. I want to Thank everyone. Either windows based or to program a particular board, I'm searching for the upsides and downsides of both. I will plan the client communication of a framework without any preparation and I'm searching for alternatives and items to stay away from. Thanks! movie box apk downlad