PEERPSI

D memory data not moving into instructions

37 posts in this topic

What is your maximum timer set value (preset value)?

Timer values I wouldn't expect to exceed 500. However, I'm using the DM values to set range which I expect to be 800 to 1000. This value could double depending on how the machine is used.

Not exactly sure I understand what you mean.

The TIM instruction preset is in BCD, entered just like a decimal number.

Maximum preset value would be 999.9 seconds.  Data type is channel or hex, but alpha characters are not valid.

All Timer instructions without an X at the end are the same.  Preset is in BCD.

I'm using D table, DM, values to set timer presets and limit values.

Timer setting.png

Just curious, why are you using the "X" version of the timers?

The X version of timers and counters is the "newer" version and is the decimal version.  It gives a larger range (65535 as opposed to 9999).   I prefer working in decimal as well. 

The image below (from the manual earlier in this post) should allow you to change the format of the display to decimal however:

DAM.thumb.jpg.6ca666dcfbe3ebbd05e7196a02

Mike,

I can understand that.

However, if he want to use the LCD option board and it will not keep the decimal values, and the range for the BCD timer is large enough, why not use BCD timers.

gtsuport

Ah, I see.  It keeps defaulting back to HEX.  Since it keeps defaulting back to HEX, why not use the TIM instruction and then enter the values in BCD (which is a subset of HEX) and everyone is happy.  

It defaults back to HEX which is where the problem lies. 1+1=10 4x4=10 are statements people here can understand and deal with. The end user will not be able to understand that if he wants to set range to 800 at the lower end then they need to enter 320.

Try setting the PLC properties to "Execute_Timer/Counter as Binary".

You must first send new settings to PLC and then perform power cycle.

Timer Binary.jpg

21 hours ago, PEERPSI said:

It defaults back to HEX which is where the problem lies. 1+1=10 4x4=10 are statements people here can understand and deal with. The end user will not be able to understand that if he wants to set range to 800 at the lower end then they need to enter 320.

So do as @gtsuport suggests, uncheck the execute timer/counter as binary and use BCD.  All of your timer / counter instructions will need to go back to the non-X versions.  The display will default to HEX and will show the BCD values as your users will understand.  So if they need to enter 800, they just enter 800.  This will cause 800 hex (which = 800 bcd) to be entered and the value of 800 will be used.