Frankeer

ip Finder

15 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, if i have a lot of AB PLC's but i dont know the address to these, is there an ip finder or a way i can find it without knowing it? 

Here's a video I did on the PLC Tools SIM-IPE doing exactly what you are asking for.  It will give you the IP address, MAC address, model number, firmware, and serial number of most AB PLCs and Ethernet/IP devices.

https://www.theautomationstore.com/how-to-discover-ethernet-devices-on-an-unknown-network-using-plc-tools-sim-ipe-ip-explorer/

1 person likes this

Doesn't Rockwell have a tool called System Ferret that does this?

Tim will that find devices on multiple or unknown subnets?

Just now, NevergoldMel said:

Tim will that find devices on multiple or unknown subnets?

Yes, for example if you have the PLC Tools SIM-IPE IP configuration at 192.168.1.1 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0 then it could still discover an Ethernet device on the network at 10.10.10.1.  In the video I don't think I had even configured the IP address of the SIM-IPE

7 hours ago, alan_505 said:

Doesn't Rockwell have a tool called System Ferret that does this?

I remember there being a tool like that. Its advantage was that it could map any RSLinx network. I remember using it to map out a few DH+ networks at my last employer. I don't see it on my computer any more. Their Knowledgebase says it's no longer available for download and has been replaced with Asset Inventory Agent, which is part of FactoryTalk Asset Center and requires a license.

However...

I've found another tool that looks like it may be a more modern version of what I remember system ferret to be: FactoryTalk Linx Browser. Its help calls it "FactoryTalk Linx Network Browser". It looks like ti will browse Ethernet networks (at least) for nodes. I don't have any DH+ devices available any more, so I can't test that functionality. It was installed automatically with one of my more recent software installs, probably Studio 5000 v30 or newer.

Another option is Zenmap. You can use it to run a ping scan of a particular subnet. It can also perform more intense scans to identify MAC Addresses and even identify the manufacturer and operating system of nodes. I've had to use it on more than one occasion to identify an IP address.

Wireshark is a bit of overkill but it works.

On 2/26/2020 at 8:29 AM, TimWilborne said:

Yes, for example if you have the PLC Tools SIM-IPE IP configuration at 192.168.1.1 with a subnet of 255.255.255.0 then it could still discover an Ethernet device on the network at 10.10.10.1.  In the video I don't think I had even configured the IP address of the SIM-IPE

Well, that puts it on my to buy list.
I've been using wireshark but it doesn't tell me which ones are PLCs.

1 person likes this

Tim,

What a fantastic tool!  Also, love the website update and design.

1 hour ago, NevergoldMel said:

Same here. There's so much going by while it's scanning that it's hard to dig out what I'm looking for. I'm definitely going to look at PLC Tools SIM-IPE IP Explorer

I may configure the IP address of 20-30 PLCs a week.  The PLC Tools SIM-IPE is the fastest and easiest way to configure an IP address.  Plus I can store various configurations in it for quick assess where I use the same IP configuration on multiple systems such as our PLC trainers.  Here is a link to it.

https://www.theautomationstore.com/plc-tools-sim-ipe-ethernet-ip-address-explorer-dhcp-and-bootp-server/

On 2/28/2020 at 0:43 PM, NevergoldMel said:

If your needing to find one PLC in particular, filter by the MAC address.

If your like me I take a picture then really expand it.  :kewl:

Thank you guys! 

Hey Tim, just watched that video on YT, very good and I use a lot of your stuff for work. I'd love a SIM-IPE but can't find them anywhere in the UK, can you advise how I'd get one here?

Sorry for dredging up an old thread but Google found it for me!

1 person likes this