Frankeer

Ethernet Information

23 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, i have an Air pressure sensor that sends its information using ethernet and i want to be able read that info using a Micrologix 1100, how can i read that data and also compare it to be able to turn on or turn off an air compressor?

Thank you! 

First a link to the air pressure manual would be helpful.

Ethernet transports hundreds of different protocols, and there are dozens of common ones in industrial use.

So please, post some details about the device.

Unless it supports the "PCCC" command set and the Rockwell Automation specific "CIP" transport protocol, it very probably cannot communicate directly with a MicroLogix 1100 controller.

The bigger MicroLogix 1400 controllers (Series B and later) do support an "open sockets" feature that lets you connect to more devices, especially those with simple text or binary data protocols, but it's still not super-easy to use.

A gateway or protocol converter device might be appropriate for you.     Post more about the air pressure sensor and folks can provide more advice.

2 people like this

Sorry everyone, I have a Keynce sensor FD-GD50U and a Micrologix 1100, can you guys give me a hand? 

It looks like you gave the part number for the mounting bracket for mounting a FLOW meter to a pipe.  Keyence makes a flow meter that does not require breaking into the pipe, but the bracket must be properly sized.  They have a flow meter that is ethernet/IP-capable that also accepts a PRESSURE switch input (a separate sensor) for sending flow and pressure.  Please clarify what exactly you have.

The sensor part number is the one i provided

sensor1.jpg

sensor2.jpg

Manual is at https://www.keyence.com/mykeyence/downloadFromDLList?downloadAssetId=AS_105751&downloadZipFlag=0
Registration is required.
The applicable information starts at page 59
Flow rate is on word 4 of instance 100.

Those are 16 bit words so your data type would be N (micrologix) or INT (contrologix) . The decimal point will not be present so you'll have to shift it according to how many decimal points you set up in KV Studio on the unit.

devices can be made to function *almost* like an I/O connection on EtherNet/IP by using CIP Generic "Read Assembly" and "Write Assembly" message (MSG) instructions in a MicroLogix 1100

Since you'll be reading the assebly 100 with a MSG block you'll have to setup a trigger to create a i/o cycle for it.
I suggest XIC s4/12

6 minutes ago, NevergoldMel said:

Manual is at https://www.keyence.com/mykeyence/downloadFromDLList?downloadAssetId=AS_105751&downloadZipFlag=0
Registration is required.
The applicable information starts at page 59
Flow rate is on word 4 of instance 100.

Those are 16 bit words so your data type would be N (micrologix) or INT (contrologix) . The decimal point will not be present so you'll have to shift it according to how many decimal points you set up in KV Studio on the unit.

devices can be made to function *almost* like an I/O connection on EtherNet/IP by using CIP Generic "Read Assembly" and "Write Assembly" message (MSG) instructions in a MicroLogix 1100

Since you'll be reading the assebly 100 with a MSG block you'll have to setup a trigger to create a i/o cycle for it.
I suggest XIC s4/12

Can you eplaint it to me, how to create the trigger?

Create a timer with a preset and when the timer is done, trigger the MSG Read.

Be sure to include an NC contact of the timer's done bit so that the timer automatically resets and starts counting again.

Edited by pcmccartney1

Oh ok ok, thank you! 

What should I fill in this screen?

Capture.PNG

3 hours ago, pcmccartney1 said:

Create a timer with a preset and when the timer is done, trigger the MSG Read.

Be sure to include an NC contact of the timer's done bit so that the timer automatically resets and starts counting again.

I use a bit from the S4 so It doesn't require a timer when doing assembly reads.
xic s4/12 msg ....

1 person likes this

Remember to use channel 1 and configure the Multihop

Check where it says 500CPU Read and scroll to Select CIP Generic

Then Change the Service to Read Assembly 

5e4c71a1d069f_ML1100ReadAssembly100.thum

ML1100 Read Assembly 100.png

1 person likes this

Hey guys, for a reason i can not find the option CIP Generic

Capture2.PNG

Never mind guys, i was using a 1100 series A instead of a Series B, thank you! 

Check the sticker on the side of your MicroLogix 1100 to see if it has Series B firmware, and check the Processor Type in RSLogix 500 under Controller Properties to be sure it's set for "Bulletin 1763 MicroLogix 1100 Series B".

As far as I know, the original MicroLogix 1100 Series A firmware did not support CIP Generic messages, while Series B does.   I think Series B is defined as FRN 5 or later.   You can indavertently select a "Series A" controller in RSLogix 500 and still download and run the program on a new controller.

While the MicroLogix 1400 controllers had a hardware change to support Series B firmware, all MicroLogix 1100's can be upgraded.   

2 people like this

"Extended routing into file (RIX):"

What should I put in that square? 

Any old RIX data file you create.
Normally I just go head when I make the MSG file at 9 I make an RI at 10 and an RIX at 112020-02-19.thumb.png.b7f40132adbf9f2de08

23 minutes ago, Ken Roach said:

Check the sticker on the side of your MicroLogix 1100 to see if it has Series B firmware, and check the Processor Type in RSLogix 500 under Controller Properties to be sure it's set for "Bulletin 1763 MicroLogix 1100 Series B".

As far as I know, the original MicroLogix 1100 Series A firmware did not support CIP Generic messages, while Series B does.   I think Series B is defined as FRN 5 or later.   You can indavertently select a "Series A" controller in RSLogix 500 and still download and run the program on a new controller.

While the MicroLogix 1400 controllers had a hardware change to support Series B firmware, all MicroLogix 1100's can be upgraded.   

Nice to know, I hadn't run into that problem before that I know of. I might have just flashed the firmware and fixed it without noticing.

Hi everyone, if i am already receiving my info but i also want to store it, what would you guys recommend me? 

I would look at AdvancedHMI.
https://www.advancedhmi.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2

What is AdvancedHMI? Free software that will run on a windows PC and communicate to your PLC. The drivers have been written for AB PLCs. See the link below for a demo on connecting. The package was written in VB.net and runs on Visual Studio. It is then very easy to connect and update a database.
https://www.advancedhmi.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=14&chapter=0

Regards,
Garry