BITS N BYTES

Backup files - File Type Association

11 posts in this topic

Some of the files in the group of backup files from a PLC was mistakenly viewed and set to open with Adobe Acrobat.

This has affected ALL CX Programmer backup files across my entire PC [Windows 10 Pro]

How does one restore the original files association?

In the attached picture the "Backup File List" all files except backup.obj and backup.std show in "Opens with: "Unknown Application"

BUT the backup.obj and backup.std shows file type as Adobe and properties "Opens with: Adobe"

How do I restore the original "unknown association" so that backups can be used to restore programs to PLC.

I have over two hundred programs that are affected. HELP PLEASE

OR Doesn't this issue really matter!! So my PC associates file with ADOBE, BUT in fact when using them to restore program to PLC all works just fine??? Con-Fused!!

Incorrect File Type.jpg

Backup file group.jpg

Correct Association.jpg

Incorrect File Type.jpg

Correct Association.jpg

Incorrect Association with Adobe.jpg

Edited by BITS N BYTES

If you type in file associations where it says type to search Windows will pop up choose a default app for each type of file.

14 hours ago, BITS N BYTES said:

OR Doesn't this issue really matter!! So my PC associates file with ADOBE, BUT in fact when using them to restore program to PLC all works just fine??? Con-Fused!!

It doesn't matter. In Windows, file associations are a convenience so the associated program can easily be identified. It will also enable the 'Double Click' action to open the file without having to open the program then chose 'File > Open'. In the case of the *.obj, and *.std file extensions, neither 'Double Click' actions will successfully open an Omron product.

My *.obj has no file association to it. This extension is very common to many programming software packages.

My *.std files seem to be associated with Omron but if I click View File it opens in Solidworks PDM on my computer.

Mr_PLC_FileAssociation.JPG.c52318c87a5a7

It is a bit annoying. In older versions of Windows there was a dialog in Windows Explorer (File Explorer now), that would enable you to choose a program for each file type. Not sure where it is in Win 10.

I did a Google search as well. It's crazy to have to go through so much just to remove a single file type association. It gave me flashbacks of using Windows 98... although I believe it was easier then.

was just doing research for similar problem. i would like to assign my own application for all not-associated file types. still no luck... and i don't want to generate separate entry for every possible extension.

7 hours ago, IO_Rack said:

It doesn't matter. In Windows, file associations are a convenience so the associated program can easily be identified. It will also enable the 'Double Click' action to open the file without having to open the program then chose 'File > Open'. In the case of the *.obj, and *.std file extensions, neither 'Double Click' actions will successfully open an Omron product.

My *.obj has no file association to it. This extension is very common to many programming software packages.

My *.std files seem to be associated with Omron but if I click View File it opens in Solidworks PDM on my computer.

Mr_PLC_FileAssociation.JPG.c52318c87a5a7

It is a bit annoying. In older versions of Windows there was a dialog in Windows Explorer (File Explorer now), that would enable you to choose a program for each file type. Not sure where it is in Win 10.

Thanks IO Rack.

My hunch was correct. It is only Windows that uses the file Association.

Tested restoring a couple of PLC backup file groups and they worked just fine.

Messing around trying to remove associations just isn't worth the time or trouble.

It sure does and it works for me.... And tried it on a whole bunch of files that are not yet associated.

On some systems one may need to hold SHIFT before rightclicking on some files. This should force "Open with" to show up....

Also, are you running anything as a different user perhaps? Is your explorer using elevation? File associations can be different for each user of the same machine.

Win10-Pro.thumb.png.cd4e8fad965ca2e259845e385efd0d6e1_OpenandOpenWithinWin10.thu5e3860b0b1b03_OpenWith.png.2e255e0d3a2c5

And same can be done from File Properties window too

5e386311c2dca_ChangeassociationfromFileP