Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mmd604

Contrologix 5771 and Point I/O

4 posts in this topic

I have a couple of questions regarding a system I have been tasked to commission the I/O. I have a 5771 controller with ethernet card and 2 remote i/o(Point i/o) via ethernet and a vfd (powerflex) via ethernet.  My question is do I have to power up and establish communciations between every device to download to the 5771 controller.  Or can I just establish comms between the 5771 and Point i/o and download.  The reason I ask is the Drive has not been wired by the contractor and is 2 weeks away from completion. Drive is also been controlled via ethernet 5000 suite.  Also if I have to change a IP on the 5771 is a download required to make the Change?

You can download your controller's program any time you want to.  You might have major or minor faults based upon your configuration of settings of each device.  Under every device's connection tab are settings regarding faulting the processor due to the lack of communication with the device.  You could inhibit the device to prevent your processor from faulting.

You can change the IP address in the ENBT (or whichever ethernet module you have) at anytime with no download required.  Use RSLinx to change the settings.  The only concern is making sure all the other devices and your PC remain in the same subnet.

Thanks appreciate the quick response as you said I have a number of faults on the 5771 after the download.  How would I inhibit these faults? Also I will have to change ip of the drive and the remote i/o now that I changed the 5771 ip. can I do this in the i/o tree and I would guess I would also have to do that locally at the drive as well.  Thanks  again

While online, open the module properties of the device in the IO Tree.  Select the Connection tab.  You will see check boxes for Inhibit Module & Major Fault On Controller If Connection Fails while in Run Mode.  Make appropriate selects.

You could also do this offline, but then you need to download to the PLC.

Changing the IP of the VFD occurs in one of two ways.  First is via the keypad and the parameters of the drive itself.  The second is via Rockwell's BootP/DHCP tool.  Once the VFD had a validy IP and can be seen in RSLinx, you should be able to change it there also.  The same thing for the Point IO AENT(R).

Edited by pcmccartney1