BooCrew

SLC 500 Communications issue

12 posts in this topic

I am troubleshooting a communications error problem.   I responded to a blinking fault light on my

SLC 500 1747-l532 Series D Processor unit.  After much deliberation drew the conclusion that the program was screwed up.  Thankfully I had a backup copy on lap top made few years ago for just such an occasion.    

I created a driver setup with rslinx Classic:

DH485 Sta:0 COM1

Comm Port    COM1

Device SLC-CH0/Micro/Panelview

Baud 1200

Station 00

Parity   NONE

Error Checking NONE

Stop Bits   1

Protocol FULL DUPLEX

Communications with the PC from lap top was good and a successful download of the backup program happened and the SLC 500 is now online and back in control of the assembly line.  

My current issue is during the download there was a popup that said something to the effect “If I choose to continue communications will be interrupted click to approve.  Now Rslinx does not see the SLC500 using same profile and cable.  There are some additional timing edits I need to adjust but seems to be locked out.

BOOCREW

Did you upload the old program from the SLC so you can review the original parameters? Did you look at the fault table to see what the fault was? You might have been able to reset the fault without downloading a new program.

You changed something to cause your problem (captain obvious is on the scene). I'd have backed out when I saw that warning. Admittedly there was this one time, not in band camp, where I didn't so I've been there.

Have your tried the "auto config setup" in RSLinx rather than defining the comm parameters?  

Edited by Michael Lloyd

Fault Code = 001h was the original  blinking light.

Go straight down to Ron Beaufort's explanation. I made a PDF of the explanation that he gave (seemingly, 15 years ain't that long is it?) long ago and I still refer to it (don't connect to SLC's much anymore).

Just now, BooCrew said:

IMG_2503-2.jpg

Oohh… that's one of those holy poop on a stick batman errors. See above reference to the comm issue. Ron (as always) has a great explanation for how to determine what you need to do to get back into your PLC. It's probably just a driver selection in RSLinx. The last line of his long post explains how to tell which driver to use ("most of the time").

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=106086

Maybe I am missing the suggestion?   ... Download has happened... unit is now working but I seem to be Locked out by lack of connection threw linx.

The port protocol was probably different in the original program as comparted to the program you downloaded. Here are some key points of Ron's post:

"This port is generally (and by default) set up for “DF1 Full Duplex” but this same port can also be set up for “DH-485” (Data Highway 485)."

"Concerning the 1747-PIC “adapter”. This “adapter” is a physical piece of “hardware”. Basically it’s a gray plastic box with two cables attached. It’s primary use is to convert the RS-232 voltage levels from the back of your programming computer to the higher voltage levels used for the RJ-45 connector on the front of some SLC processors (SLC-500, SLC-5/01, SLC-5/02, and SLC-5/03). The conversion of the voltage levels MUST be done by a piece of hardware. Consider the telephone analogy, there is NO WAY to simply “plug in” a German telephone set (5 volts) to the Italian telephone system (24 volts) and expect it to work properly ... to use a German telephone set in Italy would require a physical “adapter” of some sort to convert from one voltage level to the other.

Now to the 1747-PIC “driver”. This “driver” is a “software” program. It’s included as part of the RSLinx package. It’s primary use is to convert the RS-232 “language” from the back of your programming computer to the DH-485 “native language” used by some SLC processors (SLC-500, SLC-5/01, SLC-5/02, and SLC-5/03). Consider the telephone analogy, we cannot simply “speak” German on the Italian telephone system and be understood. To speak German on the Italian telephone system would require a “translator” of some sort to convert from one language to the other and so to nail this down, the 1747-PIC “adapter” is a piece of hardware for the DH-485 system and the 1747-PIC “driver” is a piece of software for the DH-485 system.

Sometimes the “Channel 0” DB-9 port on the front of an SLC processor is set up for “DH-485”. when that happens the voltage levels on the DB-9 port do NOT change, specifically the port’s voltage levels stay perfectly compatible with the voltage levels used on your programming computer’s RS-232 (serial) port no problem there and specifically, we do NOT need a 1747-PIC adapter. The same old three-wire null modem cable that we usually use for this port will still work just fine."

"This might help decide which driver (the “RS-232/DF1” or the “1747-PIC”) you need to use with NO cable connected to the DB-9 port, watch the LED marked “RS-232” on the front of the processor. If it flashes about once every four seconds, then the DB-9 port is (probably) set for “DH-485” and you’ll (probably) need the “1747-PIC” driver in RSLinx, but if there is NO flashing, then the DB-9 port is (probably) set for “DF1 Full Duplex” and you’ll (probably) need the “RS-232/DF1” driver in RSLinx."

First of all before I forget.............. Thank you all for your support.....

NO flashing, then the DB-9 port is (probably) set for “DF1 Full Duplex” and you’ll (probably) need the “RS-232/DF1” driver in RSLinx."

Currently working on the above approach for I do not have a flashing light as suggested.  So far no results but still working on it.

Open up your program that you downloaded and see what the settings are for the comm ports, did you click on accept comms changes, if you did then it should now have the comms settings that are in the downloaded program, just configure RSLinx to those settings.

Alan

Referring to Comms/System Comms   ?