DWIM

Fork terminals for Mitsu PLS's

10 posts in this topic

Hi

I have a wiring issue. As you Mitsu users know, many PLC's have on each side these two screw rows, one higher and the other lone ower for inputs and outputs.

Our wiring expert connects wires by crimping some pipe style shoes with a sleeve (don't know the exact english word) .

So far so good. The problem are the mounted wires on the upper "stage" . They cross the beneath screw eaxctly in the middle of their head. Our service technicians come to me and complain about having to remove the upper wires to access the lower screw. This is even more the case if the upper screw has two wires attached.

I saw in a Mitsu Manual a nice drawing, where they use a fork terminal or even two on each other, so the wire is exactly centered over the ridge between two lower screws, leaving the lower screw exposed.

Does anybody has a place where to order these narrow sleeve fork terminals? Our distributors have only this car-style (=> large, thick) standard crimp shoes. They are so wide, the lower screw is covered again.

Thanks for any tips!

Do a search for Thomas & Betts RA147PT.  Some people use these pin terminals.  Since the wire is inline with the pin, it will be offset from the row below it.

Thanks for your reply. But I disagree.

The wire is inline with the pin.Agreed. But then one has to mount this pin at an offset of the top screw. So, the pin and the wire go straight over the lower screw. Because the lower screw has an offset too. 

In short: I'm looking for a small flat fork terminal. Those available here are gigantic, made for cars or bulldozers with high currents.

Why not "bend" the fork in relation to the crimp portion at a 45 Deg angle or even 90 Deg and move on.

Bitsn Bytes: The link you showed got me an idea what I've seen in the Mitsubishi document.

==>Non-insulated fork terminals!

If we take the insulation away, then their backside is flat, and one can put two onto each other by flipping one over.

But...but..if the top row is connected with these non-insulated terminals and the service man wants to fiddle with his screwdriver between them to access the lower screw...nähh...I'll pass on this one.

It seems on paper, ideas are always good...

Edited by DWIM
typo

My friends in Japan like to use these. https://www.nichifu.com/  I'll bet you'll find dimensions that match the Mitsubishi specs to a tee.

The terminals and the tools are very inexpensive as well.

I can't imagine this is a big problem.

Did a service engineer just once have to remove a wire to access another wire and then complained?

I would say it was a rare event.

I use bootlace  ferrules and can easily get to the back terminals with a thin screwdriver

I just never need to.

IO_Rack: Thanks for the link! Interesting stuff there: 

STRIPPED CHAIN TERMINALS ...Iooking for this crimp gatling gun...:-)

Ron_S: It is not a big problem. It happened. Yes a rare event. I always look around for improvements. 

Is this Japanese equipment? You may find https://us.misumi-ec.com/ just as interesting.

Some.... many years ago before internet and smaller companies selling worldwide, we had the same struggles with our Japanese equipment. We would get a limited supply when our associates from across the Pacific would deliver machinery. They were very difficult to purchase then.

As petty as it seems, it really made for some nice tidy work especially when adding a considerable amount of I/O.