DBOVF

hmi HMI G3 not working using Crimson 2.0

20 posts in this topic

I know nothing about HMI's or Crimson software.  I'm in I.T. and we had to change the third octet in the IP address and gateway on all devices at our warehouse.  I extracted the file on one HMI, changed the ethernet info, and clicked send.  That HMI that runs a carpet machine works perfectly.  I went to the second carpet machine.  Extracted the file changed it's ethernet info, clicked send.  It came back with all ---- (dash's) instead of zeros, the carpet machine won't work.  I kept messing with the file trying different things, and inadvertently saved over the original extracted file!!!!!  So I thought I'd extract the file from the working carpet machine and loaded it on the second carpet machine.  I get the same issue, all ---- (dash's) on the HMI and you push any of the buttons on the front of the HMI and nothing works.  These are Allen Bradley MicroLogix 1500 running Crimson 2.0

HELP I don't know how to resolve this issue.  I would have thought both HMI's would have been the same! 

HMI all dashes.eml

HMI all dashes2.eml

IMG_1063.jpg

IMG_1064.jpg

Edited by DBOVF

Did you change the IP address in the Micrologix PLC too?

The HMI will have it's IP address and the PLC has it's IP address. I'll type it but I'm sure you know this- No duplicate IP addresses.

Hi Michael

I only changed the IP in the ethernet tab, along with subnet and gateway.  I don't see where to change the IP on the PLC?  As I said I'm not familiar with HMI, PLC's etc.

If the IP on the PLC was changed, it happened when I send the updated database file using Crimson 2.0

IMG_1069.jpg

Nope. The 3rd octet of the IP address in the PLC would also need to be changed by logging into the PLC with the RSLogix 500 software. HMI and PLC are separate. Ie I can use any compatible HMI with the PLC and I can use any compatible PLC with the HMI. They have to be on the same subnet if the comm link is ethernet.

If the comm link is serial (DH+, etc) then my post is null and void

A ML1500 does not support Ethernet. Is there an adapter in between the HMI and the ML1500?

1 person likes this

There is a cable from the HMI to the Microlinx 1500, not what I'd call an ethernet cable though.  It's the cream colored cable.

IMG_1034.jpg

IMG_1033.jpg

We don't have RSLogix 500 software.   So does that mean I'm up a creek without a paddle?

I would have thought that changing the IP of the G3 should not affect the data exchange with the MicroLogix 1500, as that is a serial connection with a protocol called DF1.

Are you sure that the information on those displays is coming from the ML1500?

Your picture of the crimson shows a couple of connections to raw TCP/IP.  Those are ethernet devices and they would probably need to be updated with new IPs and updated driver information within the Crimson software and the G3.

Edited by pcmccartney1

I'm not sure where the info on the displays is coming from :(   I can say that the carpet machine is connected via TCP/IP and that IP is in the host file on the IBM Power 8 system, which talks to the HMI. 

All I did was change the IP address, subnet, gateway info in the Crimson 2.0 software and clicked Send.  I had my laptop hooked up to the HMI via a USB cable.   Then I got all those dashes and the guy who runs that machine said it's supposed to be zero's, and he used to be able to change the number of feet and inches manually, but it won't let him do that anymore.

The Protocol 1 under Ethernet shows Comm_Read() for driver settings on port 3001

The Protocol 2 under Ethernet shows Comm() for driver settings on port 3002

But all those settings came from the file I exported from the working carpet machines HMI, so maybe this carpet machine's HMI had different setting, though I wouldn't think so as they look like identical machines that do the same thing.   I wished I hadn't saved over the original file!!!

All I know is I have to get this machine functioning....it's hard to do when I don't know anything about these critters

Within the Crimson software, the displays are configured.  Each object with have a reference to a tag within the tag database.  Those tags are contained within one of those configured protocols, ex. ML1500, Raw TCP/IP, etc...

Maybe you could post the Crimson file.

Clear_Setpoint,Flag,MicroLogix1500,B003:0000,11,0,Clear_Setpoint,None
Enter_Manual_SP,Flag,MicroLogix1500,B003:0000,12,0,Enter,None
Zero_Counter,Flag,MicroLogix1500,B003:0000,15,0,Zero_Counter,None
Store_Length_SP,Flag,MicroLogix1500,B003:0001,0,0,Store_Length_SP,None
Roll_Balance_Start,Flag,MicroLogix1500,B003:0001,1,0,Roll_Balance_Start,None
Roll_Balance_Stop,Flag,MicroLogix1500,B003:0001,2,0,Roll_Balance_Stop,None
Roll_Balance_Mode,Flag,MicroLogix1500,B003:0001,6,0,Roll_Balance_Mode,None
Reverse_Roll_Mode,Flag,MicroLogix1500,B003:0003,1,0,Reverse_Roll_Mode,None
Cut_Counter_Reset_I,Flag,MicroLogix1500,B003:0003,3,0,Reset,None
Cut_Counter_Reset_II,Flag,MicroLogix1500,B003:0003,4,0,Cut_Counter_Reset_II,None
Cut_Counter_Reset_III,Flag,MicroLogix1500,B003:0003,5,0,Cut_Counter_Reset_III,None
Fault_Invalid_Slow_Down,Flag,MicroLogix1500,B010:0000,0,0,Fault_Invalid_Slow_Down,None
Fault_Out_of_Carpet,Flag,MicroLogix1500,B010:0000,10,0,Fault_Out_of_Carpet,None
Fault_Buffer_Full_Manual,Flag,MicroLogix1500,B010:0000,2,0,Fault_Buffer_Full_Manual,None
Fault_Buffer_Full_Auto,Flag,MicroLogix1500,B010:0000,3,0,Fault_Buffer_Full_Auto,None
Fault_Unroll_Inv_Fault,Flag,MicroLogix1500,B010:0000,4,0,Fault_Unroll_Inv_Fault,None
Fault_Roll_Up_Inv_Fault,Flag,MicroLogix1500,B010:0000,5,0,Fault_Roll_Up_Inv_Fault,None
Fault_Cut_Tolerance,Flag,MicroLogix1500,B010:0000,7,0,Fault_Cut_Tolerance,None
Fault_MCR,Flag,MicroLogix1500,B003:0001,14,0,Fault_MCR,None
Man_Length_Feet,Word,MicroLogix1500,N007:0024,None,0,Man_Length_Feet,None
Fault_PhotoEye,Flag,MicroLogix1500,B010:0000,9,0,Fault_PhotoEye,None
Fault_Code,Word,MicroLogix1500,N007:0000,None,0,Fault_Code,None
Page_Control,Word,MicroLogix1500,N007:0001,None,0,Page_Control,None
Cut_Counter_I,Word,MicroLogix1500,C005:0011.02,None,0,Cut_Counter_I,None
Cut_Counter_II,Word,MicroLogix1500,C005:0012.02,None,0,Cut_Counter_II,None
Cut_Counter_III,Word,MicroLogix1500,C005:0013.02,None,0,Cut_Counter_III,None
Cut_Length_Feet,Word,MicroLogix1500,N007:0023,None,0,Cut_Length_Feet,None
Fed_Length_Feet,Word,MicroLogix1500,N007:0025,None,0,Fed_Length_Feet,None
Roll_Balance_Feet,Word,MicroLogix1500,N007:0026,None,0,Roll_Balance_Feet,None
Counter_Feet,Word,MicroLogix1500,N007:0028,None,0,Counter_Feet,None
Last_Cut_Feet_I,Word,MicroLogix1500,N007:0051,None,0,Last_Cut_Feet_I,None
Last_Cut_Feet_II,Word,MicroLogix1500,N007:0052,None,0,Last_Cut_Feet_II,None
Last_Cut_Feet_III,Word,MicroLogix1500,N007:0053,None,0,Last_Cut_Feet_III,None
Slow_Distance,Real,MicroLogix1500,F008:0002,None,0,Slow_Distance,None
Creep_Distance,Real,MicroLogix1500,F008:0004,None,0,Creep_Distance,None
Stop_Distance,Real,MicroLogix1500,F008:0006,None,0,Stop_Distance,None
Load_Distance,Real,MicroLogix1500,F008:0014,None,0,Load_Distance,None
Calibration_Length,Real,MicroLogix1500,F008:0016,None,0,Calibration_Length,None
Cut_Tolerance,Real,MicroLogix1500,F008:0017,None,0,Cut_Tolerance,None
Roll_Balance_Inch,Real,MicroLogix1500,F008:0019,None,0,Roll_Balance_Inch,None
Cut_Length_Inch,Real,MicroLogix1500,F008:0023,None,0,Cut_Length_Inch,None
Manual_Length_Inch,Real,MicroLogix1500,F008:0024,None,0,Manual_Length_Inch,None
Counter_Inch,Real,MicroLogix1500,F008:0031,None,0,Counter_Inch,None
Fed_Length_Inch,Real,MicroLogix1500,F008:0025,None,0,Fed_Length_Inch,None
Calibration_Factor,Real,MicroLogix1500,F008:0032,None,0,Calibration_Factor,None
Machine_Powered_Time,Real,MicroLogix1500,F008:0047,None,0,Machine_Powered_Time,None
Machine_Total_Cuts,Real,MicroLogix1500,F008:0061,None,0,Machine_Total_Cuts,None
Machine_Total_Fed,Real,MicroLogix1500,F008:0062,None,0,Machine_Total_Fed,None
Machine_Enabled_Time,Real,MicroLogix1500,F008:0050,None,0,Machine_Enabled_Time,None
Last_Cut_Inch_I,Real,MicroLogix1500,F008:0051,None,0,Last_Cut_Inch_I,None
Last_Cut_Inch_II,Real,MicroLogix1500,F008:0052,None,0,Last_Cut_Inch_II,None
Last_Cut_Inch_III,Real,MicroLogix1500,F008:0053,None,0,Last_Cut_Inch_III,None
Fault_Line_1,String,None,None,None,None,Fault_Line_1,None
Fault_Line_2,String,None,None,None,None,Fault_Line_2,None
ReadString,String,None,None,None,None,ReadString,None
ReadCutLength,Real,MicroLogix1500,F008:0013,None,0,ReadCutLength,None
Password,Word,None,None,None,None,Password,None
ReadCutLength1,Real,MicroLogix1500,F008:0013,None,0,ReadCutLength1,None
CutLength,Real,MicroLogix1500,F008:0000,None,0,CutLength,None
RollBalanceResults,Real,MicroLogix1500,F008:0018,None,0,RollBalanceResults,None
In_Tolerance,Flag,MicroLogix1500,B003:0000,9,0,In_Tolerance,None

1 hour ago, DBOVF said:

There is a cable from the HMI to the Microlinx 1500, not what I'd call an ethernet cable though.  It's the cream colored cable.

IMG_1034.jpg

IMG_1033.jpg

It's connected to the RS485 port on the HMI and the PLC has a DF1 port. The Red Lion has a built in protocol converter so that explains that. What wasn't clear is why changing the HMI IP address hosed up the connection. Short version - it didn't. When you copied the program from the other HMI you changed the DF1 config. I'm not where I can look but each ML1500 will likely have a distinctive ?? PLC topic, address, node, whatever it's called. Lets say your original panel that worked is Node of 1 and the second panel that you copied panel 1 to is set up with a Node of 2. The protocol converter in the Red Lion is "pointed at" a specific "node" on the RS485 port. That is something you can change on the Crimson end. You just need to know what the node is.

If you post the program for the non-working PLC someone here can figure that out pretty quickly and you can edit the HMI and get back online

Attached is the program for the non working PLC.  I'm guessing the "Drop" number is what needs to be correct?

RL.cd2

That is the Crimson program. A Micrologix program ends in RSS. I can't tell where you are located but if you have an AB rep maybe you can talk them into doing you a favor and connecting to the machine to verify the channel configuration. Or posts it here and we'll look it up. There are two channels. Channel 0 is the DH485 port, default appears to be 1 (I think this is what the Crimson is tied to) and Channel 1 is the DH+ port, default appears to be 1.

Correct! The word I was looking for was Node Address. It's in the Channel Configuration --> Chan. 1 - System or Chan. 0 - System tab for the PLC and Drop Number in the Crimson software. They need to match.

The rest of this is just FYI "stuff".

It looks like there are two Micrologix "devices" in this program. One on the RS-485 port and one on the RS-232 port. I didn't see a wire for the RS-232 port in your photos. I don't think this is particularly important, just an observation. 

The Network port has two Protocols, also just an observation.

Whoever built the HMI did a nice job (except for maybe the music choices :) )

For your purposes:

Top left / Bottom Left Navigation Pane: The tabs in the bottom left change what's in the top left.

Bottom right is navigation for the Resource Pane on the right.

Communication is what your interested in (I think you know that).

Data Tags: is just for the Micrologix data tag setup

Display Pages: is what it sounds like, all of the displays

Programs: I've never had the need to use the Programs tab but I like what the programmer did

Webserver: I'm assuming you have a control room that remotes into the panel. It's handy and it's turned on

Data Logger: Just what it sounds like. Not used

Security: Just what it sounds like

Edited by Michael Lloyd

I'm located in Cincinnati - No remarks about the Bengals please...…..There is a curse on the sports teams in this state...….

I located the guy who set these machines up for us awhile ago, he sent over a quote on changing the IP's, it was pretty steep, so I got wrangled into it!  Took some reading, and had to download the Crimson software, then it was try and hope for the best.....The first HMI was a piece of cake.  This one wouldn't have been as bad, had I not saved over the original file :( !!  Still wasn't quite sure what happened that it didn't work initially.

So theoretically I can change the drop numbers in Crimson, trying zero instead of 1, send the file, and the machine may work sounds like?

Agreed the music choices aren't too good.   Southern rock or country would be my picks :)

I REALLY appreciate all the help on this from you.  They'd have my head on a platter if I couldn't get that carpet machine running again.  That's the one they use the most.

Lol, I am working in NM and home is TX. NM adopted the CO franchises since they can't afford one of their own (but we do have a Space Port that we can't use). TX... The Stros almost pulled it off. Texans and Cowboys... eh... <--very unpopular thing to say :)

I have mixed feelings about the IP address change cost. When I was an integrator I tried to train the customers techs to do things like change IP addresses for themselves. I didn't charge for my mistakes either. Some don't run their business that way. It can be a tough business. That said, he should have left the customer with all of the programs. They bought them.

With any luck 0 will work. I think max is 128 (might be 256). I never needed to go that high but I know of instances where someone would start at 10 and go up ie not use the default.

!00% agree on your music choices lol I'd load it up with Eric Church

No worries. Been there. I learned to mimic Steve Erkle (did I do that?) over the years.

Edited by Michael Lloyd

So I only need to change the DROP number for the MICROLOGIX 15001 under the RS232 COmm Port, is that correct?

I configured the RS485 port, since it was blank before.  I've been changing the DROP number on all these am up to 5 so far and still getting all ---- (dashes)

IMG_1070.jpg

The cream colored cable is going into the RS232 port not the RS485 port, not sure if that makes a difference

Problem solved.  I went over and looked at the working carpet machine, the cream colored cable that connects the HMI to the micrologix was in the PGM port.  So I came back over to the non working carpet machine and put the cream colored cable into the PGM port, uploaded the file, and no dashes - all zeros came up.  The guy brought over a roll of carpet and was able to make the cuts!!!!!   YAHOO!!!!!!!!!  I'm done with this thing.  I don't understand why the cable was in RS232 to begin with, but I'm just happy it's all working.