atomic_robo

EIP Commuincation

11 posts in this topic

Hello PLC gurus,

I have a really noob question to ask. I am new to ethernetIp programming. 

I have a 1756-L61 that is supposed to communicate with another device over EIP.  The Ethernet object assembly is set like this 

Input assembly instance: 100. Size 1 

Output assembly instance: 254, configuration instance:1, Size 0 

Read data: 2 word

Write data: 2 word 

Does anyone know how I can set up the producer/ consumer tags to read and write to the data block over eip?? 

I thank all of you in advance 

I don't think you can use produce-consume tags except between ControlLogix/CompactLogix processors, but I could be wrong. If your other device isn't a Logix 5000 processor, I think you need to use a generic Ethernet module or get an AOP for it.

What is the other device?

Thank you Joe for your reply. I believe it's an Omron PLC. 

There's an EN2T module on the CLX side. What's an AOP? 

AOP = Add-On profile. It lets you add a device to the Logix 5000 I/O tree, which makes it far simpler to communicate with.

Does the Omron PLC support Rockwell's Ethernet/IP? If not, you'll need a protocol converter that can talk to both.

I can vouch for the Red Lion DSP communicating between Siemens and Rockwell very well but I've never used Omron hardware. The DSP lists "G9SP-Series via FINS" and "Master via FINS" drivers for Omron. I don't know anything about them, though.

Yes, Omron uses Ethernet/IP as defined by ODVA. 

So, now communicating with the Omron is as simple as adding an ethernet module? Will this configuration work if the Ethernet module is connected to a switch? 

Thanks

A switch shouldn't matter, just make sure the two devices are subnetted and addressed properly. In the I/O tree, expand the EN2T to reveal its Ethernet network, right-click on the network and select "new module". In the dialog box, find generic Ethernet module:

GenericModule0.PNG.5ff5e81697a721c4afbf1

In the next dialog box, set its name, IP address, etc. Here's an example from one of our machines that's talking to an data collection PC:

GenericModule.PNG.460e251061ca4c1306b664

Your setup will be different.

I can't help you with the Omron side, or test the setup since we don't have any Omron devices here.

1 person likes this

Thank you so much. This helps a lot. 

Have a great day :) 

I've always wonder why people run straight for produce/consume. You guys need a snickers.

@NevergoldMel I guess it's due to not having a deep understanding of produce/consume tags. There are a lot of PLCs on the market and it's hard to keep up with all of them. Can i have my snickers now?