JoshuaAsitec

OMRON CP1L PC Link over Bluetooth

3 posts in this topic

Greetings,

My application is utilizing two Omron CP1L PLCs connected through an RS232 serial link to achieve PC Link. We're essentially using this setup to message data between the two PLCs. With a hard-wired link, it works great. I can force bits in the master PLC, and see them in the slave PLC. However our application requires this link to be wireless. We got our hands on two SENA Parani SD1000 units. I've worked with these units previously to connect a serial scanner to a Rockwell PLC quite successfully.

After reading through datasheets, we figured out the pin-out from Serial Comms unit fitted to the CP1Ls wasn't quite standard. So we adapted our own cables to re-route VCC and SG appropriately. So with a hard-wired link, this setup works, and the comms units on the PLCs have a nice solid lit up comms light. But with the wireless parani connection, the comms light lights up, but it is very dull compared to the wired link, and we get no data transfer. I've verified to the best of my understanding that the comm settings all match, at 9600 Baud, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, and Even parity.

Just curious if anyone has any suggestions to get this working, or if there are any settings that I might have missed that make PC Link a unique form of RS232 that these parani units can't handle?

I've identified online alternative units known as the Promi SD205-OA, which has a pin-out to match the OMRON CP1L PLCs. As far as I can tell though, the units themselves function the same as the Parani SD1000 besides this pin out. Anyone know differently?

Presently the serial connections made are Tx -> Rx, Rx -> Tx, Vcc -> Vcc, and SG -> SG. Would I require anymore connections? Our wired link seems to work just fine with just those connections.

Any help would be greatly Appreciated!!

1 person likes this

Welcome to the forum.

I think you will need to jumper RTS - CTS on the PLC side.

Should be pins 4 and 5.

gtsuport

2 people like this

I've connected pins 4 & 5 on both PLC ends and alas it has made no difference.

I've attached various screen shots to hopefully help someone understand better my issue. Both the "Parani Settings" and " PLC Slave Settings" screen shots show you the settings of the serial comms. The Master PLC has the same settings but is in master mode of course. I can verify that the settings on the PLCs are correct, as a direct link works fine. The direct link is wired as screen shot "connection" demonstrates.

Our aim is to replace the direct link with a Parani SD1000 on either end, and the wiring to the Parani units is as shown in the "wiring" screenshot, but without the jumper between 4-6 and 7-8 as the flow control settings in the paranis are off. My next test will be to insert those jumpers and turn on the flow control and see if that works.

To me it seems like it could be one of three things:

- either there's a wiring issue, which I've examined multiple times and can't find a fault.

- A settings issue that I'm not comprehending, as in "Manual Settings" and "Manual Settings 2" don't really give you any indication what parity or amount of stop bits PC Link is using. I assume it matches what I configure it to as seen in "PLC Slave Settings", but not certain.

- A protocol issue: PC Link is not quite standard RS232 serial comms, and the Paranis can't comprehend or replicate what they're receiving.

Any advice is much appreciated!

I contacted OMRON directly and they weren't much help. They basically stated that because the direct link works, I need to contact SENA, whom I did, and they have no idea regarding OMRON PLCs.

There must be a way to get this to work, as OMRON used to sell/advertise these products, or variants of them in the Promi SD205-OA

connection.PNG

Manual Settings 2.PNG

Manual Settings.PNG

Parani Settings.PNG

PLC Slave Settings.PNG

wiring.PNG