Triplett

Learning about MicroLogix 1500

16 posts in this topic

I am new to Allen Bradley and am experimenting with a MicroLogix 1500 system. Base is 1764-24BWA Series B, Processor is 1764-LRP Series C. I only have 110V hooked to it right now, just seeing if I can see it with my PC - RSLinx lite 2.58.00.15 . When I power on the unit it cycles the power light, then power light goes solid green and fault steady blinks red. Verified COM port for USB-serial is 4, go into RSLinx and configure RS-232 to COM4 and try to auto config but no response. I tried DCOMM mode also, no response. I have USB-serial for both 9 pin and round 8 pin connectors.

Do I need anything else wired to unit? Maybe the different series is stopping functionality? Maybe I need different version of RSLinx (Windows 10)? I'm at a loss where to start.

Thanks in advance!

What USB-RS232 converter are you using?  If it is a cheaper converter, the COM port emulation won't be very good.  You may want to try a different converter.  I have one that I use that is very compatible, but even mine runs into issues occasionally.

Native RS232 is always the best way to go, I bought an old Win XP Toughbook for working with this type of old technology.

The first thing I always try when having trouble with RS-232 communications is a null modem adapter. If that doesn't work, then try a different virtual COM port. I've had very good service from the Keyspan USA-19HS.  The only serial devices that haven't worked with that one haven't worked with any adapter and require a native COM port.

1 person likes this

Also, look in your computer Device Manager, see if your com port shows the adapter, the driver is working, etc.

1 person likes this

Keyspan USA-19HS is the one I use as well.

Use the  Keyspan USA-19HS  for years with no issues.

Hope I did not Jinx anything 

Ahh, 1500 is the worst of both worlds. Micrologix addressing and compactlogix card costs.

2 people like this

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 0:15 PM, jaden said:

Also, look in your computer Device Manager, see if your com port shows the adapter, the driver is working, etc.

This is one that bites fairly often...

1 hour ago, NevergoldMel said:

Ahh, 1500 is the worst of both worlds. Micrologix addressing and compactlogix card costs.

It's better than  than the Micro 850 unless your need something to throw on the fire to keep yourself warm. I think the Micro850 would be better in that case.

Honestly, I prefer to use ClickPLC's if I have to go cheaper than CompactLogix.

1 person likes this

On 9/6/2019 at 9:58 AM, Michael Lloyd said:

It's better than  than the Micro 850 unless your need something to throw on the fire to keep yourself warm. I think the Micro850 would be better in that case.

Whats wrong with the 850s!? I like them 

The hardware is fine. The programming software is pathetic. I’d rather write a SLC, S5, or S7-200 program. Time is money

1 person likes this

then power light goes solid green and fault steady blinks red.

Is the Fault LED on steady red, or is it blinking (at about 1/sec) ?    

A steady FAULT LED means an unrecoverable hardware diagnostic failure;  the PLC generally has to be replaced.

A blinking FAULT LED means that the controller is simply faulted;  it might have drained the memory retention battery, or be reacting to being in a new hardware configuration, or something else.

For your comms, try sticking with the default MicroLogix settings when you press DCOMM and that LED comes on green.   19200/8/N/1 speed and framing, SLC-Ch0/MicroLogix device type, CRC error checking, DF1 Full Duplex.    That way you don't have to rely on Autoconfigure.

1 person likes this

On 10/2/2019 at 2:12 PM, Michael Lloyd said:

The hardware is fine. The programming software is pathetic. I’d rather write a SLC, S5, or S7-200 program. Time is money

it took me a little to get used to it, I like CCW now, and its not just for controllers. setting/backing up drives is a breeze compared to executive. 

I've been trying to get my boss to stop with the mircologix entirely.
If they can't afford compactlogix I'd rather use the ClickPLCs at least you can get them to do a PID loop without knocking the universe apart.

1 person likes this

Hi Triplett, 

Do you have an end cap attached? These don't come with the controllers and need to be ordered separately. Order cat # 1769-ECR unless you are using a second bank of I/O, then you will need the 1769-ECL. 

Also, if you toggle the mode switch, can you clear the flashing red fault LED? In other words, is the fault condition presented upon going to RUN mode?

Have you verified the installation using a (free) tool such as IAB? 

- download here -> https://www.rockwellautomation.com/en_NA/support/product-selection-configuration/overview.page?pagetitle=Control-Systems-Configuration-Tools&docid=01503dfdb8a20bf09c86944a6f44364b

Concerning RSLinx and Windows 10 support, yes, I would update to the latest version (ver 4.11). Looks like version 3.90 is the first with Windows 10 support.
  - link to release note - https://compatibility.rockwellautomation.com/GeneratedReleaseNote.aspx?v1=55894&v2=55894&o=&pdf=0
Continue to use RSLinx Classic, do not try to use FactoryTalk Linx (this is for CIP only).

You mention that you have serial cables for both 9 pin and 8 pin, be sure you are using:

- for 9-pin D-shell - a null modem cable such as 1747-CP3 or 1756-CP3 (with 1764-LRP processor unit)
  - for 8-pin mini-DIN - a 1761-CBL-PM02 (to comms port on base unit).

If possible, confirm that these cables work with another controller to verify their operation.

Finally, don't forget about the RA Knowledge Base. Even if you do not have a Tech Connect support contract there are lot's of helpful documents there.

- link -->  https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/

Regards,

Bill Wiewandt

Edited by Bill Wiewandt