Ek

Safety IO Modules on NX-EIC202

6 posts in this topic

Hello. In a new project that I am working on, I have my main PLC as NX102-9000 and I am using an SL5500 Safety PLC along with it on the rack. I was thinking of using an NX-EIC202 ethernet communication module out in the field along with a couple of standard IO cards (NX-ID5142-1 & NX-OD5256-1) as well as a couple safety IO cards (NX-SID800 & NX-SOD400) attached to it. Would this configuration work? How would I map the safety signals over to my safety PLC in the Rack over the ethernet? I can map the standard IO (and standard safety IO status) using tag sets but I didn't find an option to do the same for the safety IO. When I go into the safety PLC ethernet communication settings in Sysmac studio, there is no NX-EIC202 shown. Only NX-CSG320. I am a newbie to Sysmac and any help is much appreciated.

Do you have to use CIP Safety for some reason?  

If you don't specifically need CIP Safety (for connections to a 3rd party device, like a robot or something), I would not use the method that you are proposing. 

I would use the NX-SL3300 safety controller with an NX-ECC202 on EtherCAT. (FSoE - Fail Safe over EtherCAT)  Much less expensive and much faster.  All around easier. 

If you respond to this, we can provide more direction. 

To answer your question though, the NX-SL5500 and NX-SL5700 controllers are CIP Safety controllers and can only work with the NX-CSG320 communcations controller  or directly connected to the NX102.  It cannot be used with either the NX-EIC*** or NX-ECC*** modules on a network.

I do need CIP safety as I have a bunch of robots in the line. My SL5500 (Customer Spec) is directly connected to the NX102. So you are saying the safety IO cards attached to the EIC202 would not work? I was thinking of putting a mix of standard and safety IO together on the EIC202 so that I could save up on space and modules. But if the SL5500 would not acknowledge the safety IO cards via the EIC202, then maybe I need to get the GI-S series safety modules instead, to wire up field safety.

Edited by Ek

With the NX-EIC202 (EtherNet/IP comms adapter), you can never do distributed safety I/O.  Each NX-EIC202 / NX-SL3300 (or 3500) node would be like a stand alone safety controller with an EtherNet/IP connection for status only.   The NX-SL3300 can only use the Safety I/O that is on the same NX-EIC202.  If you want to do distributed safety on EtherNet/IP (CIP Safety) you need to use the NX-SL5*00 controllers and the NX-CSG320 (or NX102).

This is what I would suggest for you:

The NX-SL5500 can do both CIP Safety and FSoE.  So, mount the NX-SL5500 to the NX102-9000.  Use one of your EtherNet/IP ports on the NX102 to communicate with the robots.  You can do both CIP Safety and standard EtherNet/IP connections (for control signals to the robot and status signals from the robot) from that port. 

The rest of your safety on the machine will be on the FSoE (Fail Safe over EtherCAT) side of things.  Connect an NX-ECC202 with the NX-SID800 and NX-SOD400 modules and the rest of your regular IO using the EtherCAT port on the NX102.  You can distribute much more safety I/O on this network, it is faster and easier to configure.

Notes:

The NX-SL5500 supports only 16 CIP Safety connections (that means 8 robots, 1 connection in and one out).

The NX102 supports 32 standard EtherNet/IP connections.  These are not consumed by the CIP Safety Connections.  Therefore, you would likely use 1 in and 1 out per robot for control of the robot.  If you had other EtherNet/IP nodes that you would have 16 regular EtherNet/IP connections remaining (on the port you are using) after 8 robots.

1 person likes this

Thank you Michael. That's what I wanted to know. The info would definitely help.