Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mmd604

Modicon 984

7 posts in this topic

I have found my self in a plant with no experience with this PLC its old and I cant find much documentation. Just out of curiosity say I had a failed input output card (series 800).  Can I remove power to the processor or remote processor(J890) and have it retain its memory ? also are they any changes I would have to make in Concept programming software to see this new input/Output card. I am aware of top and bottom keying on input/output modules. Just want to be prepared so if  any thing happens which I am sure it wont I will atleast know a thing or two.  Thanks for any info

Edited by mmd604

You do not need to kill power to replace an I/O card. You can replace it "hot".  You only need to kill power on the processor, remote I/O interfaces, power supplies etc.

The J890 gets updated from the processor on power up. nothing to reload there. Also, no programming changes for replacement card.

1 person likes this

Ok thanks so for example If I change a bad I/O card on remote rack and processor(J890). I can kill power to the power supply I wont risk losing memory because the memory is stored on the Master PLC ?  That being said if I was to change a bad I/O card on the Master PLC (984) just make sure my battery is good before I kill power on the power supply.  Once again thanks for any info you provide!

That is correct. But even on the "master" rack  you do NOT need to kill power to replace an I/O card.

1 person likes this

Ok thanks sorry for being a pain but in the manuals it says to kill power to the power supply before pushing in i/o card that's not correct? or just a safety precaution

Geez, a 984A, B or X?  I worked on those in the early 90s.  I remember them being "hot swappable" as long as it was a one for one replacement.  I think there were exceptions for some specialty modules.  I think I used Concept once.  This is the dark ages, we used the old Taylor MODSOFT running in a MS-DOS or WIN 3.0.  Of course, before that we have the oscilloscope suitcase for programming on a 4 inch CRT.

Edited by pcmccartney1
1 person likes this

Its A I believe  and to be honest it scares me haha.  That being said these things last!! 20 years no problems

Edited by mmd604