elajambejr

Omron SP10-DR-A

15 posts in this topic

I know that this topic has been covered a few times but I'm kinda stuck as I need this paricular controller. I've made the cable and using minilss have successfully uploaded the program from an existing controller (wasn't easy..took a few dozen tries to coonect) but can't seem to connect again to the new controller to download the the program to it. Minilss reports an error 'couldn't read LR-sizes communication time-out. I'm using a 486sx/25MHz laptop with dos 6.2 (i've tried other versions) and i'e tried different baud rates etc. Anybody have anything tried and tested or any ideas? Thanks

been looking some more and I'm wondering if anybody can tell me if the interface on the sp10 is what it looks like...an rs-422 din-8 interface. The cable is found in an old post has the following configuration; sp10 ---- rs-232 5 --------1k-------- 3 (TxD) 3 ------------------ 2 (RxD) 4 ------------------ 1 (DCD) and 6 (DSR) 7 ------------------ 8 (CTS) 8 ------------------ 5 (GND) everything I've found online say's that if it is an rs-422 interface the above diagram is close but should have the following configuration instead; sp10 ---- rs-232 1 ------------------- 4 (DTR) and 7 (RTS) 2 ------------------- 8 (CTS) 3 ------------------- 2 (RxD) 8 ------------------- 5 (GND) 5 --------1K-------- 3 (TxD) 6 7 ------------------- 1 (DCD) Does anybody have any idea if this makes sense because I've been out of this too long to know? Edited by elajambejr
1 person likes this

It is definitely an RS232 interface. Many people have had success with the cable interface posted in this forum.
1 person likes this

The problem I'm running into though is that I have only been able to make the connection once. I managed to get the program off the old controller but that was the one and only time I was able to connect using the old cable. I'm wonder if the sp10 follows the rs-422 configuration (old mac serial) which uses estentially the same plug and is you look at the diagrams in my previous post many of the pins line up with a typical rs-422 to rs232 converter
1 person likes this

Trust me. It is definitely an RS232 interface. SP10 Interface @ MrPLC.com

I believe ya. I just can't figure out why I can't achieve a stable/reliable link. I'm just banging my head for an answer. I've downloaded that diagram and I would guess every peice of info on this formun as well as many other but I don't understand why I can't connect using hardwaree and software from that time period. I'm sitting here with a program from the old controller prove that cable works to upload the program from the plc and I can only persume it works to download one back but it took me hour to get the program of the old one and that was after about 8 hours at 4am and I can't recreate the proceedure to program the new one

You've got me at a disadvantage, because I don't have a setup now. I'm hoping the others which follow this forum will shed some light on the subject.

Although I agree that you should definately be able to get online via RS232/MiniLSS, sometimes there is a point where you need to cut your losses and try something else. 1 option would be to re-enter to the program using a hand loader!! (we often loan ours for these older units, try your Omron rep) The SP10 is old, and even your replacement unit has probably served a life!! The output relays have probably served their due? If you have the program in MiniLSS, why not enter it into a new Omron ZEN or CPM1A. These items cost less than 1 day of your time!! Programs in an SP are not usually large and would not take long to copy into a newer unit. Another option would be to re-enter to the program using a hand loader!! (we often loan ours out in NZ for these older units) A voice of reason? Nibroc

Here's the manufacturer's programming console at ebay for about $15: SP10-PRO01-V1 @ ebay.com
1 person likes this

This is very true Nibroc, however I'm not in a position be changing equipment at the moment. I'm pretty sure the timers etc in the replacement would be thrown by the difference in CPU speed, at least that seems to be the opinion of the omron rep I spoke with. I'm going to explore that after I get this thing up and running however if anybody has any idea or feedback about the timer issue I appreicate that too
1 person likes this

Thanks Jay. It may come to that. That may get me outa a pinch until I can explore new contoller possiblities

Regarding the Timers in the PLC: The actual timing values should not change as they are not scan dependent. I'm sorry that you have to put up with "Omron reps" that pass out this kind of misinformation.
1 person likes this

Was wondering if anybody has a working model and if they could post the exact configuration they are using because I've tried everything...different PLC's, PC's, operating systems, and every possible port setting combination I can think of. If possible either post or email me what type of computer (make/model), operating system, any special settings, the exact pinout your using on the interface cable

PM today: Anybody want to comment?

I worked on doing the reverse engineering of the few lines inside the Omron mini SP16 PLC looking for the signals on the pins 3 and 5 of the mini Din connector and identify the direction of each one.  3 is an output and 5 is the input data. 4 and 7 has pull up resistors and there are copper lines that goes to the microcontroller side that it was very dificult to identify what kind of signals could it be. I mean the 4 and 7 pins of the mini Din connector.  See attached diagram that I share 

15969855401846700529743336940503.jpg

1 person likes this