papaya

Difference between l33erm and 306erm.

8 posts in this topic

Hello I would like to know the Difference between l33erm and 306erm. I could see that the l33erm can have 8 axes against 2 max for l306erm. The memory is higher on l33erm. What are the other differences?

Thank you very much.

The difference that I was looking for was that the 306 has dual ethernet ports that can be individually configured.  This way I can separate my I/O network from my SCADA or control interface network.

Can be configured individually? Does that mean that the controller can have two, separate IP addresses? Or just have different configurations for the two ports, but for the same IP address. When I see two Ethernet jacks on the same Allen Bradley module, I tend to think that it's just for DLR compatibility.

I just created an empty project with an L306ERM. Since it's offline, the "Internet Protocol" tab of the controller properties is all grayed out, but there are 2 ports listed in the I/O configuration: A1 and A2, each with its own Ethernet network. I was able to add a Flex IO chassis to each of the ports. It really looks like the 2 ports can have their own IP addresses. I'll definitely be investigating this further.

Ditto. Next time I come into contact with Compact I'll definitely be playing around a bit.

So I just poked around a little more. On the "General" tab of the controller poperties, there's a selection for "Ethernet/IP Mode", where you can select "Dual-IP" or "Linear/DLR". I think that answers our question!

I'd say the main thing holding us back from using these now would be our installed base of I/O (not a big deal) and the fact that a bunch of our machines use AMCI resolvers. I'm checking with them now to see if they have (or will have soon...) a module for the L306ER.

1 person likes this

Funny that this just came back alive today.  I just checked out my 306ER installation today.  I specifically need a separate I/O subnet and SCADA subnet.  I have flex I/O and an E&H transmitter on one port and SCADA and messaging to an old PLC5 on the other port.  Used to have to go up to the Logix to get multiple networks like this so it's pretty cool.  The money for the PLC5 upgrade is a ways off so I'm using the compact to bring in devices like the E&H transmitter over the network.  This will allow us to move forward on our near term sfield device selections that will integrate nicely with a new logix in the future. 

1 person likes this

We also have an old PLC5 system without the funds to upgrade. A large problem is the sheer number of I/O chassis, blocks, and drives that are on RIO (about 20 nodes or so). We had some features in the other 2 lines (both are ControlLogix systems) that would have been extremely difficult (pretty much impossible) to port over to the PLC5, so we installed an L33ER that's using Ethernet/IP to control a 1756 chassis that has a DH/RIO module in it to talk to the PLC5. It's kind of a kludge, but it gets the job done...for now.