Trimjohan

Setting up Omron C40H with external RS232C panel in CX-programmer

13 posts in this topic

Hi there!

I had to replace memory in a sysmac C40H

I also have a RS232 panel connected. It all worked together before memory change.

I have upploaded the program again with CX-programmer. The sysmac works again, but the panel shows only "IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII" on the display. 

Cable is ok, it worked a couple of days before. Panel seem to have some kind of connection, if I pull the cable, it says "no host connection".

How do I setup the sysmac again to work with the panel?

Any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Im a bit new to this system.

2D7ofn1w.jpeg

A4F6QUnA.jpeg

@Trimjohan Maybe you should check which data memory on PLC that link with text panel. Then monitor data that are "IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII" or not. If yes you should check ladder diagram that which rung set data to display.

Hi!

Thank you for the tip!

Im a bit new to this, I have been looking in this file but Im not shure how that instruction would look.

If I understand the system correct, there should be a rung that write some data in an adress, And that adress is only used for the internal rs232 interface. Which is then read and sent to the panel via the rs232 interface?

the CX file is attached if you want to have a look. You will problably see it right away.

autocutter_repaired.cxp

If I understand the system correct, there should be a rung that write some data in an adress, And that adress is only used for the internal rs232 interface. Which is then read and sent to the panel via the rs232 interface?

There are no TXD and RXD commands in the program.  Therefore the RS232 display is driven by Hostlink protocol which is a master-slave command-response type format.  You need to be looking at all ASC commands for clues to how the display is driven (typically from DM's.)

3 hours ago, Jay Anthony said:

There are no TXD and RXD commands in the program.  Therefore the RS232 display is driven by Hostlink protocol which is a master-slave command-response type format.  You need to be looking at all ASC commands for clues to how the display is driven (typically from DM's.)

That sounds very interesting! I will have a look in the program.

Just a thought: Do I have to set up the communication type in cx somewhere to make the Sysmac use hostlink on the rs232 port? 

The default setting is Hostlink.

Just now, Jay Anthony said:

The default setting is Hostlink.

Thanks!  I´m trying to find out if there is any missing settings in the C40H memory, which isn´t tied to the program code.

Because I did a program backup with CX-programmer one week ago, the display was working then. Wiped all the PLC memory, put back exact the same verified program, and the display stopped working with the C40H after that. 

Do you have any idea or tip? 

Latest Info:

Apparently the displaypanel is an TERM402.

I tried the program with another C40H, new cable and panel. Same problem. 

I noted that only when the panel is connected, the RUN light turns off.

I even connected the panel with a new program, just to see what happens.

the program only look simple like this and dont involve any panel config:

-----I I-------------------------------------------O-------------

And same tning happens. PLC stops RUN mode, and display only shows "IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII"

So some setup or program information is missing in this program

autocutter_repaired.cxp

Edited by Trimjohan

That's an old controller and I haven't used it, but you are probably missing some parameters regarding the RS232 port. Baud rate, parity - those are not inside the program and, if your backup didn't contain the whole project, you need to set them again.

I am new here too , I would like to know cloud networking server and clients communication with PLC ( Omron ). I do want to know on MES 42 Q System ( Manufacturing Execution System ) interfacing with PLC ( Omron ), no idea which material out there avaiable to read and mind to share doccuments or leading to a link who can help. 

Trimjohan,

Check the plc start up settings.

The controller may be seeing the terminal as a programming device and starting up in Program mode.

You should be able to set start up mode to Monitor.

gtsuport

1 person likes this

On 2019-06-14 at 1:38 PM, gtsuport said:

Trimjohan,

Check the plc start up settings.

The controller may be seeing the terminal as a programming device and starting up in Program mode.

You should be able to set start up mode to Monitor.

gtsuport

Thank you, that actually sounds like the true answer to the problem. So simple. I would really like to try it. Unfortunately I had to rebuilt the whole system with an Atmel microcontroller.

Thank you all for all the answers. Still I ended up rebuilding the whole system with an Arduino Mega in C++. Yes the safety functions are hardwired!

I want to say thank you to Angeraer for the hostlink calculations.

Here is a video of the result:

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=466243297276584

Regards

Johan