TMJJ

Most universal way to use HMI

4 posts in this topic

Dear all,

I have lot's of experience in microcontroller and embedded device programming. For a new big project we need to work with PLC's. It is an internal project where we want to upgrade a huge part of our own fleet of equipement. 

As we can't assure that we keep using the same plc's for every machine, I would like to create a visualization which is very flexible and universal. 

My first Idea was just to create a OPC UA server - client. But it would be better if we could connect to the plc through webbrowser.

What would be the best option to create the most universal HMI on different PLC's?

Thanks in advance,

Kind regards

Well most modern PLC will have a OPC UA module. But this would increase the cost of your hardware.
So what kind of HMI will you be using ? 

1 hour ago, Gambit said:

Well most modern PLC will have a OPC UA module. But this would increase the cost of your hardware.
So what kind of HMI will you be using ? 

Hi Gambit,

Thanks for replying.

Indeed most have build in OPC UA server. But the thing is that I think it is better to use a webpage.

The reason I think this is the best solution is: The machines are shipped world wide. One operator goes to the machine and needs to be able to connect to the HMI. Preferable there own laptop. When the laptop breaks down, they can buy one arround the corner with a webbrowser and continue there job. 

So the visualization will be done on a laptop. 

IS there a way to make a vizualization onto the PLC passing by OPC UA server? 

Or is there an easier work arround. As you can see the universal HMI really needs to be universal in use (laptop) and setup (PLC).

Thanks in advance,

Kind regards

Well In that case I would use a GT25 HMI in which you can make additional pages on the HMI which can be accessed with a standard internet browser.

So tabled, phone or PC it doesn't matter. The screens can be made for any resolution and is not depended on the screen resolution.
You can also acces the files (like pdf) which are stored on the HMI SD card which is good so an engineer always has access to the documentation of that system

They have most plc drivers so if you are looking for an easy solution i would take a look at that.