Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jose7771

USB -COM PORT FOR SIEMENS

15 posts in this topic

HI , TILL NOW I HAVE BEEN USING ALEEN BRADLEY PLC 1500, BUT NOW WE HAVE DECEIDED TO MIGRATE TO SIEMENS PLC (S7 226) PREVIOUSLY FOR DOWN LOADING THE PROGRAM FORM LAPTOP TO PLC WE WERE USING USB TO SERIAL COM PORT (P PIN D TYPE MALE ) SINCE MY LAPTOP DIDNT HAVE THE PROVISION FOR COM PORT,I AM USING WINDOWS XP( OPERATING SYSTEMS) I WANT TO KNOW THAT FOR THE SIEMENS SYSTEMS( S7 226) THE MENTIONED METHOD WILL WORK OR NOT REGARDS JOSE

I have done this but it's as much an issue with the laptop as the device so your results may vary. I have also used the USB PPI cable PN# 6ES7 901-3DB30-0XA0 with no problems.

Buy the USB cable from Siemens, unless you need to program TP070 operator interfaces. These require the serial cable. But I use a CP Technologies USB to serial adapter with S7-22x PLCs without any problems.

Jose, Yes and no, there are some usb to serials that will not work but there are more that work then ones that don't. The most common one that I tell people to get is the Radio Shack brand one. Of course, if you do not have a Radio Shack available then that is an issue. You can also order the USB PPI cable (part # 6ES79013DB300XA0) form your friendly neighborhood Siemens salesperson. WARNING!!! Chris is also correct on the HMIs. If you are using the TP070 or the new TP170micro the USB cable will NOT download with this cable. Both of these panels will be obsolete sometime in the next two months and supersceeded with the TP177 which will be compatible with the USB cable.

As I have heard it, the release of the TP177micro is almost now, and it mentioned nothing about supporting the USB cable. I'll check with my contact in Siemens product management.

Chris, From what I here from the Microsystems group they are in the workings of creating a new usb cable that will support both the hmi and the plc.

Oh goody! Another new cable to buy. I can hardly wait! (can you feel the sarcasm???)

have a look at the PCMCIA card! (CP5511) its a very fast and stable connection http://www2.automation.siemens.com/s7-200/.../bestell_nr.htm CP5511: PCMCIA, Type II, RS485 (PPI, MPI, Profibus) for PC/Laptop with max. 12 Mbit/s 6GK1 551-1AA00

Where my 50$ Sitecom CN-116 didn't work (BSOD's ) with Omron and therefore had to buy an oh so expensive Omron USB converter, it worked perfectly with my PPI cable for S7-200. So for a change Siemens wasn't that expensive

The one I use has worked with all of the PLC software I've thrown at it. A friend of mine went and bought a PCMCIA card with 2 serial ports and he's had no problems with it. But the converter I used is cheap! $16.99 at Tiger Direct http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/se...sp?EdpNo=542934

It is fast and versatile but as with many PCMCIA cards it's easy to break the connector for this expensive card and the adapter that plugs into the card is large and heavy so just letting it dangle from the laptop will damage the connection. I find the size a problem because I often do field service where my laptop is on an overturned bucket or similar not having a large workspace to let the connector set on.

OK I agree (I have also used an upturned bucket!) but now i have some "Velcro hook tape" stuck on the back of the adaptor lead and "Velcro Eye Tape" stuck on the back of the screen of my laptop! This works very well!

Hello I have a USB PPI cable PN# 6ES7 901-3DB30-0XA0 for my laptop, but It can't connect with MicroWin 32 v3.2.2.11. Can you tell what possible problem I have with the comunication?

Caro, Check PG/PC Interface. Make sure you have PC/PPI Cable(PPI) selected, check the baud rate, AND look under the Local Connection tab to make sure USB is selected. Edited by DesertDog

Hello, I don't have the USB, only COM 1 and COM 2, do I need any aditional driver? or my problem is the microWin version?