MikeC44

Direct Logic 05 Ethernet

8 posts in this topic

I have a control that I want to use a Direct logic 05 plc in.  It is a really simple program but it is going into a plant that has a main control panel that runs the plant.  I dont know the brand of the plc in the main control.  They want to be able to send me a command from their plc to the direct logic to turn on my unit.  I suppose that would mean a simple set instruction to my plc.  I also have a couple alarm conditions that I want to send them.  For example if water pressure is to low I would put my unit in the alarm mode and send them a low water signal.  If the chemical is low likewise,   I dont have a clue how to do this in my program.  Can anyone give me some examples in direct logic plc program for making this happen??? Thank you Thank you Thank you.

MikeC

I forgot to mention that they want to use the ethernet connection not a hardwire signal.  Thats the part I know nothing about. 

You are going to need to know what brand of PLC the main controller is.  The DL05 have very limited Ethernet capabilities beyond other Directlogic PLCs.  If they are two different brands then you'll probably need an intermediate device to act as a translator.  Anyway, figure out what the main controller is.

The main controller is an Allen Bradly CompactLogix,  They want to use messaging whatever that is to send me a message to start my unit, and they want me to send them a message if my unit goes into an alarm condition. 

Are you set on the DL05?  That isn't going to be an easy task.  The easiest way will be to switch to a Micrologix PLC, that should be able to message the Compactlogix.  Otherwise you are going to be into some 3rd party translator.

I wanted to use the DL05 since it is a brick that we use all the time, but after checking into it more I guess I will put in a Micrologix 1400 and the Scada guy will send some messages with data registers for me to use to turn on our system and he will read some data registers in my plc to notify of alarm conditions.  Im not totally up to speed yet but I guess this is the best option when we put a unit into a plant that uses the AB plcs. 

Do you have the RsLogix 500 software?  If not then the I/O count of the Micrologix 1100 should be comparable to the DL05 and uses the free software.

The Micrologix 1100 will not do modbus TCP but the 1400 will.