Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Keith Menges

Siemens Protool Font Issues

7 posts in this topic

I am programming a Siemens TP-170A touchscreen using Protools Pro CS version 5.2 SP3. The hassle I have is that the screens do not display on my laptoip screen the same way they do on the TP-170. The font sizes appear larger on my laptop than on the TP-170. This leads to overlapped text when viewed on my laptop screen. This was just an inconvenience but niw the project is done and I want to do some screen dumps to use in a manual. I haven't tried to look at this on another computer yet. My laptop is a Dell Latitude running Win2K Pro. Sorry, that's all the info I have on the laptop as I don't have it with me right now. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Keith

Have you tryed using ver 6.0. Ver 6.0 will also work with the PLC sim package in Step 7. You can do your Step7 programming and Protool programming, Then run the whole thing with the Simulator, changing the variable with a VAT. Pretty cool stuff. BTW there is a Service Pack 6 for Step 7 ver 5.1 available. v 5.2 was just released. Drop me an email RRobbins@cca-corp.com

Roy- Thanks for the info. I was not aware that V6 of Protool was out, or that Step7 5.1 had a SP6. I'm going to have to jack up my local Siemens rep about that. I got my screen dumps done by running Protool on my desktop machine, which is a Dell Dimension 8200. It worked fine on that. I still haven't figured out what is going on with the laptop. I've tried several screen resolutions and various other display settings but nothing has worked so far. One thing I do know that is different is I am running an ATI display driver on my laptop and a different model display driver on my desktop. At this point I'm probably going to give up on this. With any luck moving to Protool V6 will do something for me. Thanks again for the reply. Keith

This is not directly connected with the display problem you are encountering . I do a fair bit of work for a control systems company now owned by Siemens , and we do not use Protool V6 because of compatability issues . I understand that once a terminal (OP/TP etc) has been uploaded/downloaded to/from by a PC using V6 , even if no changes are made , it cannot then be accessed by a PC running lesser versions of Protool . I use Protool V5.2 SP3 (southern asian version for what it is worth ) and do not suffer any problems (apart from the obvious Siemens type stuff)

Some of the new displays have a hard time with ver 5.2. I did find that the TP27 cannot be programmed to work with Profibus with ver 6.0, because the ver 6.0 does not support the old RMOS profibus ports. The new displays have all CE operating systems. It will work fine as a serial interface with the TI505's. The new MP270 and OP170b can only be programmed with ver6.0. The new version of Protool will integrate along with Step7 and run with the PLC Sim package and I use that all of the time for testing my PLC code and the operator interface before ever downloading it to either the display or the PLC. Makes developing and testing, extreamly quick and easy. I would upgrade if posible. If you save the old Protool project and then upgrade the project for version 6.0, save the new project with a new name and you can use both versions. There are new functions availble in 6.0 also.

Chance windows font size at windows control panel. Start --> settings-->control panel --> screen or monitor --> choose font size "small Fonts" Regards User

Good call User. That did the trick. It will be SIGNIFICANTLY easier getting screens to look decent the first time around now. I didn't notice before that my desktop was set to small fonts and my laptop was set for large fonts. Thanks again. Keith