simmo1973

Rslogix 500 ascii confusion

4 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I have a micrologix 1400 plc and an SIC E10 engraving machine. the engraver requires its marking info ( day/year/random sequential number etc) to be sent to it via rs232 connection. the manuals have nearly melted my brain and I have no clue how to convert and send this type of info via rs232. please help.

thanks

NOTPROTOE10V6US-R04.pdf

What have you tried so far?  Can you post a program?  Have you tried to talk to the engraver using any kind of telnet program and formulate your text strings and see what the results or reaction of the engraver are?

It is my understanding that the data being sent does not change with the type of network media. RS232 is a serial network cable/protocol. Whether Ethernet, DeviceNet, RS232, DH485, etc, the information being relayed from a controller to an external device does not change based on what network that data is being transferred on. The real question is, what information information format does the engraver understand? If it will take a CIP message, the Micro 1400 will send CIP formatted data. If the engraver is using some other form of "raw" data, you will have to write some sort of buffering/conversion code to make the data compliant with the engraver before sending.  

As previously mentioned, more details would help get a better answer.

Hi, Sorry for delay in reply..

I have been looking into this more but I still cant get my head around setting up ascii message instructions etc, all I can do is ask if anyone has a bit of time to look at the attachment above it will prob give you an idea of what I need.

many thanks