Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mister x

Alternative to TEXTJOIN for creating code

4 posts in this topic

Well, after 3 hours of screwing around, I'm stopping to ask for directions lol.  I'm looking for a way to create multiple lines of LAD/ST going from a single ControlLogix line, copied into Excel (or better alternative), and then populated x amount of lines and re-read into Logix 5000.  Example:

XIC ? OTE seven_tags.0 (copied from Logix 5000 rung)

XIC ? OTE seven_tags.7 

I haven't defined the XICs yet, and want to copy the original line seven more times incrementing to seven_tags.7

There is no JOINTEXT in Excel Professional Plus 2016(argh!), and the online Excel doesn't seem to have a convenient function to break the copied LAD line into columns, like the Text to Columns Wizard in Excel 2016.  Any better ideas than having to use both Excel programs?

I just used the text to columns in excel 2016, with just a "Space" as delimiter. and excel break is into 4 cells.

Cell A1: XIC

Cell B1: ?

Cell C1: OTE

Cell D1: seven_tags.0

Then dragged the lower right corner of cell D1 down to "seven_tags.7"

Then in Cell G1 i entered =A$1&" "&B$1&" "&C$1&" "&D1

and dragged cell G1 down to G8.

This will solve your question about excel, but i dont think you are able to import it into logix again.

2019-03-30_12-13-26.jpg.d164f370d66a1fb9

If you want to able to import your changes to logix, firstly try to export your routine with just " XIC ? OTE seven_tags.0" created in it, and open the export file in a text editor.. You will see that logix uses XML, Nice!

This is the part you want to copy and modify:

2019-03-30_12-30-57.thumb.jpg.de038ff7f1

Copy this 7 times and increment the rung number and seven_tags.index.. Save your file and import the routine back into logix.

You can use excel to create the syntaxes for you, in a simelar way as i did in the above explanation.

XML should not care about whitespaces and new lines, so you can create the XML as "<Rung Number="0" Type="N"><Text><![CDATA[XIC(?)OTE(seven_tags.0);]]></Text></Rung>" and still be able to import it.

I hope it makes sense, and wish you the best of luck with your auto-generate project :)

1 person likes this

That helps a bit, thanks for the detailed post.:-)

Another problem though.  I opened a .CSV tagfile in Notepad++.  I deleted a few tag lines and saved the file again.  Now when I try to import back into Logix, I get an error:

Error: Line 25: Unexpected end of file encountered.

I don't see anything odd at the end of the file, using V28...

V28_RMG_playing_with_arrays.Notepad-Tags.csv

Edited by mister x

After many trial and error tests, it appears the Notepad++ doesn't do something that Excel does when saving.  The .CSV file I saved with Notepad++ must be reopened and saved in Excel or it sees something odd at the last line.  

Fixed, did a compare with WinMerge and saw there needed to be an empty last line maintained in Notepad++ when saving to .CSV

Edited by mister x