Jarib CS

Configure MicroLogix 1100 with 1747-UIC

19 posts in this topic

Hello guys,

I'm new to the forum and pretty much a rookie in the PLC world.

Am currently working on the MicroLogix 1100 and trying to establish communication via the USB to DH485 1747-UIC. I have watched a couple o videos on YouTube, like this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSKZ8sS1-HM and also, tutorials like this one https://www.theautomationstore.com/how-to-configure-the-1747-uic/, but without success.

Reviewing some information provided online, I came across the fact that this adapter is compatible  with the Allen Bradley SCL series.....but couldn't find out if it's compatible with the MicroLogix 1100. If this is not compatible, then which Ethernet-to-USB adapter do I need to use for my specific PLC?

Thank you very much in advance for all of your help.

Best regards,

Jarib CS

The UIC adapter is for connecting to a DH485 device, like the SLC5/03 or L40B fixed chassis processors.

The ML1100 supports Ethernet, so you shouldn't need anything more than a simple network patch cable. Your PC and the PLC will need to have different IP addresses that are on the same subnet.

If you can't use Ethernet, I think the ML1100 has a DF1 port that you can use your preferred USB-RS232 adapter and the DF1 driver in RSLinx.

Just now, pcmccartney1 said:

Why are you trying to talk from the USB to the ML1100 EtherNet port?  Why not talk directly from your PCs EtherNet port?  Just make sure you are setup on a unique IP in the same subnet and the ML1100.

Thank you for your reply pcmccartney1! I have had successful communication with the PLC by configuring  BootP-DHCP server, then through RsLynx and assigned an IP.  Went online and also downloaded programs to the PLC and worked perfectly....but if I turn off the PLC, the IP goes away and I have to do the whole process again! Do you know if there is solution for this problem? Since that is happening, I am trying with the  USB to DH485 1747-UIC , but evidently is not working.... 

While in RSLinx you can set the IP address and then make it static, therefore not BOOTP/DHCP.

4 minutes ago, Joe E. said:

The UIC adapter is for connecting to a DH485 device, like the SLC5/03 or L40B fixed chassis processors.

The ML1100 supports Ethernet, so you shouldn't need anything more than a simple network patch cable. Your PC and the PLC will need to have different IP addresses that are on the same subnet.

If you can't use Ethernet, I think the ML1100 has a DF1 port that you can use your preferred USB-RS232 adapter and the DF1 driver in RSLinx.

Thank for your response Joe. I made it work on 1 of the 2 PC's I'am working with.....and that is because my personal PC does have an Ethernet port.  The one that was provided at work does not have one, so I went to the store and grabbed an Ethernet to USB adapter, but I just doesn't work, no matter what I do. Do you know if this type of adapter is suitable for these kinds of appliances (PLC)?

5 minutes ago, pcmccartney1 said:

While in RSLinx you can set the IP address and then make it static, therefore not BOOTP/DHCP.

Can you show me how, please? Pictures or a video-tutorial, maybe?

A laptop without an Ethernet port? That's...weird.

Anyway, I've used an older version of this:

https://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Ethernet-Chromebook-Ultrabook-USB3GIG/dp/B00LIW8TBG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1550777715&sr=8-3&keywords=linksys+usb+ethernet

It worked great. Are you using a virtual machine? If so, it's much easier to connect the USB adapter to the VM and install its drivers there too.

You need your network adapter to be on the same subnet as the PLC. Since your personal PC connected, you know the IP address of the ML1100, and it's probably already set to static. Set the USB network adapter to manually configured and give it a different IP address in the same subnet and it should "just work".

Can you ping the PLC from your company PC?

If so, go into RSLinx and set up an Ethernet devices driver. Type in the PLC's address in the configuration dialog.

You should be able to right click on the active ML1100 within RSLinx and right click to get to the ethernet port settings and turn on the box for disabling BOOTP/DHCP.

Alternately, you can do the same thing thru the front keypad and LCD on the ML1100.

Edited by pcmccartney1

18 minutes ago, pcmccartney1 said:

You should be able to right click on the active ML100 and right click to get to the ethernet port settings and turn on the box for disabling BOOTP/DHCP.

Alternately, you can do the same thing thru the front keypad and LCD on the ML1100.

As mentioned before....I have done it several times, clicking on disable BOOT/DHCP  and the PLC does keep the IP I assign,  as long as it is on; but, if I turn it off...it loses it.:-(

Do you know why this happens?  As regards the alternative method you mentioned, can you be a little bit more specific on how to do that with the keypad and LCD on the ML1100? 

Once you are connected to the PLC  in RS Logix got to channel configuration of your controller make sure you i/p address is there. Under Protocol Control and uncheck BOOTP Enable and DHCP Enable. Make sure you I/P address is set.

Great call Brewer!

Also, if you are using the memory module, it might be overwriting the BOOTP/DHCP setting.  You'll need to download the modified program into the memory module.

In the version of RSLinx that I have, I can't change the port settings, but Brewer described how to do it from inside RSLogix. That works once you're connected. I don't have an 1100 here, but I do have a 1400. In case the 1100 is similar enough, here's how to use the LCD on the 1400:

1) Press ESC until you're at the top menu

2) Scroll down "Advanced Set" and press OK

3) Scroll down to ENET Cfg and press OK

4) Scroll to IP Address and press OK

5) Next to "ENET Mode", use the up/down arrows to select "Static" and press OK

6) You can now set the IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway address manually

Have you gotten your work PC connected to it?

Edited by Joe E.

58 minutes ago, brewer said:

Once you are connected to the PLC  in RS Logix got to channel configuration of your controller make sure you i/p address is there. Under Protocol Control and uncheck BOOTP Enable and DHCP Enable. Make sure you I/P address is set.

Thank you brewer! Followed your instructions...but still doesn't make any difference. The PLC is working great and I do have connection and even ping. However, if I turn the PLC off, I lose my IP. This should not happen, right? Don't know what else to do.....Please help me! :-(:-(:-(

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Program is running but no IP.JPG

Switch OFF.JPG

working IP.JPG

18 minutes ago, Jarib CS said:

Capture.JPG

In that dialog box, uncheck "DHCP Enable" and then set the IP address below.

Edited by Joe E.

Do as Joe is instructing you to do.

If by some chance this still doesn't resolve the problem, can you tell us if you are using a memory module? Look at the "General" tab in the Channel Configuration to determine if the memory module has the ability to overwrite the channel configuration.  Then check the Data File S2 - Status, specifically the "Mem Module" tab.  If Memory Module Loaded on Boot S:5/8 is set to a "1" then you know that the memory module is reloading the program everytime the power is applied. If so, you will need to "Store" the new program to the memory module. 

Edited by pcmccartney1

1 hour ago, pcmccartney1 said:

Do as Joe is instructing you to do.

If by some chance this still doesn't resolve the problem, can you tell us if you are using a memory module? Look at the "General" tab in the Channel Configuration to determine if the memory module has the ability to overwrite the channel configuration.  Then check the Data File S2 - Status, specifically the "Mem Module" tab.  If Memory Module Loaded on Boot S:5/8 is set to a "1" then you know that the memory module is reloading the program everytime the power is applied. If so, you will need to "Store" the new program to the memory module. 

1 hour ago, Joe E. said:

In that dialog box, uncheck "DHCP Enable" and then set the IP address below.

You guys are awesome!! Thank you very much for all your help. It finally worked!! I wish you the best of luck :-2:clap:

22 hours ago, Joe E. said:

A laptop without an Ethernet port? That's...weird.

Anyway, I've used an older version of this:

https://www.amazon.com/Linksys-Ethernet-Chromebook-Ultrabook-USB3GIG/dp/B00LIW8TBG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1550777715&sr=8-3&keywords=linksys+usb+ethernet

It worked great. Are you using a virtual machine? If so, it's much easier to connect the USB adapter to the VM and install its drivers there too.

You need your network adapter to be on the same subnet as the PLC. Since your personal PC connected, you know the IP address of the ML1100, and it's probably already set to static. Set the USB network adapter to manually configured and give it a different IP address in the same subnet and it should "just work".

Can you ping the PLC from your company PC?

If so, go into RSLinx and set up an Ethernet devices driver. Type in the PLC's address in the configuration dialog.

Hello again Mr.Joe E! As mentioned yesterday, the IP address is finally static (even when the PLC is rebooted), which is progress. However, I am still trying to use the "weird" PC that does not have an Ethernet port. I believe my network adapter is set to the same subnet as PLC but the only thing I am missing is what you said " Set the USB network adapter to manually configured and give it a different IP address in the same subnet". Would you mind explaining to me how to do this? Any tutorials on this?

Net1.JPG

BootP.JPG

sunbet.JPG

Edited by Jarib CS

In your first screenshot, it looks like you're in the right place already. You need to get to that dialog box for the USB network adapter: in your network and sharing center, select "change adapter settings". Double-click on the USB network adapter. Scroll down in the list box and double-click on "Internet Protocol Version 4". Set it up like you have in that screenshot. If your PLC is at 192.168.1.2, set your PC to 192.168.1.x, where "x" is any number that is NOT used by any other device. Your subnet mask would be 255.255.255.0. You can leave the Default gateway blank.